So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

JSngry

788065907921.jpg?v=3

Disc 3 of 4, which covers the period from 1950 to 1954.  I absolutely love Jo Stafford and take every opportunity to extol her virtues.  This disc certainly displays her versatility, featuring her renditions of everything from "Peace In The Valley", to standards such as "Blue Skies", to novelty tunes such as "Chow Willy".  There are a number of pleasant but forgettable, "also ran" tunes from those days gone by.  Ms. Stafford still handles them with her trademark grace and style.  Among the highlights of this disc:

Don't Get Around Much Anymore --   A nice reminder that as a big band singer, Ms. Stafford was simply one of the best.  Also serves as a pleasant contrast to her later recording of this song as Darlene Edwards.

That's The One For Me -- A duet with Frankie Laine, which sounds kind of like Capitol was trying out a modified Louis & Keely thing with them.  There sure seems to be a Keelyesque style to Ms. Stafford's approach to this song.

Our Love Is Here To Stay -- Forget about songs, they don't even write tempos like this anymore.  I like the gentle little flourish Paul Weston adds at the end.

I'm Always Chasing Rainbows -- Beautiful.  Very effective string arrangement by Mr. Weston.

• Replies 78.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

21 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Hasn’t pretty well all of those boxes been reissued on various Rearward reissues by now (excluding the still MIA ‘Out Of The Folk Bag’ - what happened to that?)

Intresting question. Have to check that with my recent Rearward / Schema CDs against the 2  Campi boxes.

Will be a bit of work. Well it was easy. Except "Off Limits"  (Rearward 115 CD) which is also on on the box Blowing the Cobwebs out I have not found any other tracks on CD's. 

Have on Rearward / Schema  CD 105 (with Carl Drewo / CD 119  Shib Shihab /  CD 123 Johnny Griffin / CD 125  Swing, Waltz with Carl Drewo. These CD tracks are not on the boxes.

"Out Of The Folk Bag" is missing here

Almost all my other KC-FB are on vinyl + on some CD compilations (MPS/Universal)

Edited by jazzcorner

Gary Smulyan with Strings (Criss Cross). At first I didn't care for it; Smulyan's often harsh-edged tone didn't seem right for ballads, but I warmed to it after fiddling with tone controls and lowering the volume some. Too bad, though, that only a few of the tunes are familiar to me, and one that is, "Lush Life," I never want to hear as an instrumental again.

2 hours ago, BillF said:

71RRR%2BesbLL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

In memory of Elliot Lawrence (Feb 14 1925 - July 2 2021)

Great swinging band

Lawrence,Elliott    Gerry Mulligan Arrangements   1955/07       Fantasy (OJC) 3-206

Lawrence,Elliott    ...plays Tiny Kahn & Johnny Mandel     1956  Fantasy          902109

Lawrence,Elliott    The Music of Elliott Lawrence  1956-58       Mobile Fidelity        2-229

Lawrence,Elliott    Jazz goes Broadway        1957  Vik(FS)        45905

Lawrence,Elliott    Bigband Sound feat. Al Cohn/Gene Quill       1958          Fresh Sound 2003

9 hours ago, BillF said:

:tup:tup

Continuing that Woody theme ...

R-2888957-1433492375-6378.jpeg.jpg

Follow You!

Herman,Woody      WOODY HERMAN 1948-50       Capitol         0324

Herman,Woody      Second Herd         1948-50       Capitol  (jap)  40012

Herman,Woody      The Hits of Woody Herman      1954  Capitol          1554

Herman,Woody      The Woody Herman Band 1954  Capitol(holl) 0560

Herman,Woody      Jackpot       1955  Capitol(holl) 0748

Herman,Woody      Blues Groove         1955-56       Capitol(France)          0784

24 minutes ago, jazzcorner said:

Great swinging band

Lawrence,Elliott    Gerry Mulligan Arrangements   1955/07       Fantasy (OJC) 3-206

Lawrence,Elliott    ...plays Tiny Kahn & Johnny Mandel     1956  Fantasy          902109

Lawrence,Elliott    The Music of Elliott Lawrence  1956-58       Mobile Fidelity        2-229

Lawrence,Elliott    Jazz goes Broadway        1957  Vik(FS)        45905

Lawrence,Elliott    Bigband Sound feat. Al Cohn/Gene Quill       1958          Fresh Sound 2003

Follow You!

Herman,Woody      WOODY HERMAN 1948-50       Capitol         0324

Herman,Woody      Second Herd         1948-50       Capitol  (jap)  40012

Herman,Woody      The Hits of Woody Herman      1954  Capitol          1554

Herman,Woody      The Woody Herman Band 1954  Capitol(holl) 0560

Herman,Woody      Jackpot       1955  Capitol(holl) 0748

Herman,Woody      Blues Groove         1955-56       Capitol(France)          0784

3041625113.jpg

Still followin'?

Abdullah Ibrahim "Mindif" Enja/Solid Records CD Japan
951.jpg

Bass – David Williams 
Drums, Percussion [Gambray] – Billy Higgins
Flute, Tenor Saxophone – Craig Handy
Piano, Flute, Voice – Abdullah Ibrahim
Soprano Saxophone, Tenor Saxophone – Ricky Ford
Trombone – Benny Powell