• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

18 hours ago, BillF said:

3041625113.jpg

Still followin'?

Yep  -  started my collection in the 1950s with Stan. Not much missing  today  of Stan in my stock except his very late "bombastic" recordings when he started his "neophonic" thing with the mellophones. Then he lost me. Great recordings the "Contemporary Concepts" & the Russo/ Holman vinyls & his "Kenton presents with Pepper on Capitol + " Those Kenton Days to name some favorites.

Even his dancable vinyls "Standards" & " Portraits" are fine.

13 hours ago, HutchFan said:

R-9255843-1477469339-3213.jpeg.jpg

:D:tup

Right before I had to go out to dinner with Lucy and in-laws yesterday a fat package from Japan came with reissue cds I had been waiting months to be released and arrive. Didn't get to experience any of them yesterday but have so far listened to four.

First off was Kenny Burrell "Asphalt Canyon," which I only had on a pretty noisey LP in the past. A very nice remaster!

This was followed by Alice Coltrane, "Lord of Lords" from the Impulse 60 series of her releases released this week. A slight upgrade from earlier cd releases. . . great music.

Then on to an SHM-SACD of Keith Jarrett/Gary Peacock/Jack DeJohnette "Standards, Vol. 1." I played this to death when it first came out, mostly on cassettte, and practiced drums to it over and over, especially the interesting groove of "God Bless the Child," which inspired a great drum pattern for a song the band I was then in, "Caution: Flammable" had put together and was probably our most popular, "King of L.A." This SHM-SACD sounded a bit bright and unfocused, but when I reversed the "Phase" on my DAC it came into both a nicer tonal balance and a better imaging and soundstage situation. Nice!

Then on to John Coltrane, "Ballads," also a new SHM-SACD. Not sure it's my favorite digital version of this amazing title, at least not yet, but it sure does sound good today.

My system has been just sounding so damned good this month. All the money I've thrown at it over this last decade has been worth it.

James Blood Ulmer's Tales of Captain Black

R-1357627-1259231742.jpeg.jpg

Now onto: 

Triangular by the Ralph Peterson Trio. 

R-2681940-1298299140.jpeg.jpg

Always impressed by anyone who can rock a leather jacket / trousers / hat combination.

Having finished that, I have moved on to George Russell's 1960 Stratusphunk.

R-4345243-1362353055-3462.jpeg.jpg

I've never understood why George Russell has such a low profile comparative to his recordings. 

The trombone arrangements on this are superb.