Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

Buddy Collette - Man of Many Parts (Contemporary, 1957)

R-2603984-1292752703.jpeg.jpg

First time listening to this one, and I really love it. The sax is beautiful but the flute is really something.

:tup:D

2 hours ago, HutchFan said:
2 hours ago, Dub Modal said:

R-11970589-1525732778-5862.jpeg.jpg

AllMusic review made me think this wasn't going to be so good due to SQ issues but it's really not a factor. The music is incredible. 

Its also part of the recent Mosaic  Woody Herman  box "The MARS masters and more".  Really super music. Have the japanese vinyl reissue.

Edited by jazzcorner

8 hours ago, HutchFan said:

R-7098268-1433689645-6075.jpeg.jpg

3 hours ago, HutchFan said:

81MQAN7-0EL._SX500_.jpg

71WfJcApblL._SS500_.jpg

Very interesting to discuss !

I saw the Thad Jones-Mel Lewis Big Band and it was the greatest Big Band Experience I ever had. 

Then, in March 1980 we had a 3 Days Jazz Festival in Vienna with fantastic players (Dexter Gordon, Chet Baker , Sam Rivers, Johnny Griffin, McCoy Tyner, Sun Ra, Max Roach and the Mel Lewis Big Band after Thad Jones had left).
I was really lookin forward to hear the Mel Lewis Big Band since Mel was a fantastic musician and really cooked. The Band startet with two really fine selections that reminded me of the days with Thad Jones, but then...... Mel announced Bob Brookmeyer . 
I don´t want to offend guys who like Bob Brookmeyer, but from that point on, the performance was a big disappointment, not only for me, but for all the guys I knew and saw too. There was nothing happening. 
Later I read the great book "Sounds" from Max Bolleman (studio in Monster, Netherlands, Timeless Records etc.) and he tells the story about a session with Bob Brookmeyer: Brookmeyer told from the start on that in no way it should "swing". When some of the musicians, who maybe were bored, started to swing or groove a little, Brookmeyer interrupted the proceedings saying that "it´s going into the wrong direction".....well that´s enough for me....

Black Market, of course was really the thing during my youth. We were such a great community at school, the jazz fans listened to fusion also, the fusion fans listend to jazz also, and even the shlager fans would listen to "our music", and we, out of fun, sang and imitated some shlager singers, making money at those kind of weddings in small country villages....

Woody Shaw still could play fantastic on that record, but he had lost his steady group (one of the best things I ever heard....that with Steve Turré , Mulgrew Miller ) .
I was shocked when I read the story of Bolleman about this session with the Tone Janșa Quartet. I didn´t know Woody could have been such a mean guy, uncooperative and all, though through a miracle the session turned out to be really great. 

I was shocked when I saw Woody Shaw in 1987 !!!! It was one of the saddest and most embarrassing evenings I ever saw....

18 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

I’m glad I didn’t see Woody Shaw in 1987 - prefer to remember him from 1983. Got the feeling that his small group never toured here after that, maybe only an appearance with the ‘Paris All Stars’.

Yes that´s better. As you say, in january 1983 I saw the whole band, it was a bill of Dexter Gordon, Johnny Griffin and Woody Shaw (not together, each with his own band), and Woody was the highlight of the evening. Fantastic, and a great leader also and very articulate towards the audience, presenting the group, announcing the tunes and everything. His drummer Tony Reedus was fantastic !!!! 

The "Paris All Stars" I think was the "Paris Reunion". 

34 minutes ago, Gheorghe said:

Yes that´s better. As you say, in january 1983 I saw the whole band, it was a bill of Dexter Gordon, Johnny Griffin and Woody Shaw (not together, each with his own band), and Woody was the highlight of the evening. Fantastic, and a great leader also and very articulate towards the audience, presenting the group, announcing the tunes and everything. His drummer Tony Reedus was fantastic !!!! 

The "Paris All Stars" I think was the "Paris Reunion". 

‘Paris Reunion Band’, yes that’s right. Never saw them but they did I think do a UK tour including either the Camden or Bracknell Festival. Have one of their LPs - surprisingly lukewarm.

R-5291047-1407679662-6979.jpeg.jpg

Great little box !

39 minutes ago, Gheorghe said:

Plus the between-solos Tai-Chi demos as well !

7 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Very interesting to discuss !

I saw the Thad Jones-Mel Lewis Big Band and it was the greatest Big Band Experience I ever had. 

Then, in March 1980 we had a 3 Days Jazz Festival in Vienna with fantastic players (Dexter Gordon, Chet Baker , Sam Rivers, Johnny Griffin, McCoy Tyner, Sun Ra, Max Roach and the Mel Lewis Big Band after Thad Jones had left).
I was really lookin forward to hear the Mel Lewis Big Band since Mel was a fantastic musician and really cooked. The Band startet with two really fine selections that reminded me of the days with Thad Jones, but then...... Mel announced Bob Brookmeyer . 
I don´t want to offend guys who like Bob Brookmeyer, but from that point on, the performance was a big disappointment, not only for me, but for all the guys I knew and saw too. There was nothing happening. 
Later I read the great book "Sounds" from Max Bolleman (studio in Monster, Netherlands, Timeless Records etc.) and he tells the story about a session with Bob Brookmeyer: Brookmeyer told from the start on that in no way it should "swing". When some of the musicians, who maybe were bored, started to swing or groove a little, Brookmeyer interrupted the proceedings saying that "it´s going into the wrong direction".....well that´s enough for me....

Black Market, of course was really the thing during my youth. We were such a great community at school, the jazz fans listened to fusion also, the fusion fans listend to jazz also, and even the shlager fans would listen to "our music", and we, out of fun, sang and imitated some shlager singers, making money at those kind of weddings in small country villages....

Woody Shaw still could play fantastic on that record, but he had lost his steady group (one of the best things I ever heard....that with Steve Turré , Mulgrew Miller ) .
I was shocked when I read the story of Bolleman about this session with the Tone Janșa Quartet. I didn´t know Woody could have been such a mean guy, uncooperative and all, though through a miracle the session turned out to be really great. 

I was shocked when I saw Woody Shaw in 1987 !!!! It was one of the saddest and most embarrassing evenings I ever saw....

I forget who it was, but someone said that listening and playing much of Brookmeyer's music for the Mel Lewis Big Band circa 1981-82 was like having dental surgery. It was better before (1979/80) and after (1985 and beyond). I think both Mel and Bob learned (or perhaps re-learned) the lesson. You've got to swing.   

Edited by John Tapscott

R-1389936-1215514777.jpeg.jpg

R-1389936-1215514792.jpeg.jpg

Bad & Beautiful...impulse! version was my first Ra record back in the day. We Travel The Spaceways didn't get "here" until this Evidence issue...revisiting both again has been revelatory. Again.

and Gilmore on "Searchlight Blues"...straight to the core, all the way.