So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

JSngry

2 hours ago, rostasi said:

Detroit Black Journal Presents: Detroit Jazz: Ancient to the Future, a 1981 one hour special about Detroit jazz musicians, the special examines how modern day jazz grow out of traditional African art forms such as dance, storytelling and music. Guests on the broadcast include Marcus Belgrave, Hal McKinney, Leon Thomas, Betty Carter, Donald Washington, Faruq Z. Bey, J.C. Heard, Dave Wilborn, Count Basie, Howard Sims, Chuck Green, Jimmy Wilkins, Barry Harris, Donald Byrd, Robert McCabe, Ken Cox, Roy Brooks, Ed Nelson, Spencer Barefield, Ernie Rogers, Archie Shepp.

I'm going to watch / listen to that. Thanks!!

• Replies 78.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

8 hours ago, kh1958 said:

Just listened to the first disc so far. Woody Shaw is on fire. Slow start on first track, but both Understanding and Billie's Bounce are terrific. Good sound too.

Thnx for your feedback .... mouthwatering indeed ....

Edited by soulpope

8 hours ago, John Tapscott said:

R-4389184-1363570267-6035.jpeg.jpg

:tup

8 hours ago, bresna said:

Paul Brusger - Go To Plan B (Consolidated Artists Productions). This was listed in this thread a while back and the lineup intrigued me, Cuber & Hicks in particular. Very well done date. I ordered another of his titles (on Steeplechase) that was listed here as well and I'm waiting for that one to come in. If it's as good as this one, I'll be a very happy camper.

Go to Plan B - Paul Brusger | Credits | AllMusic

My favourite Brusger is Definitely! with John Swana, Hod O'Brien and the hugely underrated George Allgaier on tenor.

20 minutes ago, jazzcorner said:

Good LP.

a  little bigger group ---> these are here

41707638bw.jpg

Yes to the Nonet! :tup

Two new arrivals that I am really enjoying the first disc of (both are 2 cd sets)

Roy Hargrove and Mulgrew Miller "In Harmony" 
418464862118%3A360.jpg
I'm enjoying this more than I anticipated. The sound is quite good and the playing captured my attention and would not let go.

Roy Brooks "Understanding" 
roy-brooks-understanding.jpg?maxwidth=40
Woody! Carlos! Harold! Cecil! The mastering is quite good, making this one of the best Left Bank Society recordings I've heard.

Now on: 

Nils Petter Molvær's Khmer (ECM, 1997).

R-4816629-1376414807-7138.jpeg.jpg

Nothing dates worse than yesterday's hip attempt at crossover.

Now cleansing the ears with the real deal.

R-5582421-1523162314-5438.jpeg.jpg

Blue Note have just released a range of tee shirts. For whatever reason, one of the initial launch is the cover of The Prophetic.... It is prominently featured in promotional photographs.

It's a great image, but I'm surprised that whichever set of ghouls currently inhabits the facade of Blue Note thought that this image was the one to use, or that they were even aware that the Blue Note Legacy Back catalogue Monetisation Pool (TM) includes an artist named Herbie Nichols.

Edit: It is a tie in with Uniqlo. https://www.bluenote.com/blue-note-uniqlo-ut-t-shirt-collection/

I think this explains it: presumably the designers got first say and went for designs that might shift tee shirts. Hence a tendancy towards the abstract artworks of the earlier releases and not the more famous Reid Miles designs.

Edited by Rabshakeh

1 hour ago, Rabshakeh said:

Now on: 

Now cleansing the ears with the real deal.

R-5582421-1523162314-5438.jpeg.jpg

Blue Note have just released a range of tee shirts. For whatever reason, one of the initial launch is the cover of The Prophetic.... It is prominently featured in promotional photographs.

It's a great image, but I'm surprised that whichever set of ghouls currently inhabits the facade of Blue Note thought that this image was the one to use, or that they were even aware that the Blue Note Legacy Back catalogue Monetisation Pool (TM) includes an artist named Herbie Nichols.

Edit: It is a tie in with Uniqlo. https://www.bluenote.com/blue-note-uniqlo-ut-t-shirt-collection/

I think this explains it: presumably the designers got first say and went for designs that might shift tee shirts. Hence a tendancy towards the abstract artworks of the earlier releases and not the more famous Reid Miles designs.

They did the same about ten years ago and followed it with Prestige designs. Snaffled a couple.  I like the 'Unit structures' from this run

Now on: 

:lol: Loved that when it came out. Saw him perform it at the Jazz Cafe I think.  Haven't listened to it in 15 years at least

11 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

:lol: Loved that when it came out. Saw him perform it at the Jazz Cafe I think.  Haven't listened to it in 15 years at least

Give it another spin. I'm interested to know how you think. It is very Jazz Cafe in the 1990s. I can smell the frizzly white dreads.

Give it another spin. I'm interested to know how you think. It is very Jazz Cafe in the 1990s. I can smell the frizzly white dreads.

Listening now.  Yes, dated it certainly is.  Ouch! on some tracks

I think most of the trumpet still works in that post-Miles, Nordic cool way (although Henriksen has always been better and more original at that to my ears) and I like Aarset's guitar treatments  It's the rhythm parts that really let it down in places especially when they pick the tempos up, when they "rock out" or use dance rhythms. In that way it is the crossovers that fail.

It's interesting to compare my reaction to this to recently listening to Miles's 'Live At Vienne' which didn't sound dated as much as of its time and I thought was mostly a very good listen.  It was the template for a lot of what Molvaer is doing 6 years later.

And I do remember how fresh and interesting it all sounded last century, even without the dreads...thanks @Rabshakeh for taking me back to a great gig but also for making me feel old :rolleyes:

12 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

Listening now.  Yes, dated it certainly is.  Ouch! on some tracks

I think most of the trumpet still works in that post-Miles, Nordic cool way (although Henriksen has always been better and more original at that to my ears) and I like Aarset's guitar treatments  It's the rhythm parts that really let it down in places especially when they pick the tempos up, when they "rock out" or use dance rhythms. In that way it is the crossovers that fail.

It's interesting to compare my reaction to this to recently listening to Miles's 'Live At Vienne' which didn't sound dated as much as of its time and I thought was mostly a very good listen.  It was the template for a lot of what Molvaer is doing 6 years later.

And I do remember how fresh and interesting it all sounded last century, even without the dreads...thanks @Rabshakeh for taking me back to a great gig but also for making me feel old :rolleyes:

Good summary. I agree that the actual trumpet playing has aged quite well. 

Never heard Miles' Viene. Something exciting for this evening.

I also need to revisit Henriksen. It's been a while.

Meanwhile, I'm finishing up:

The Art Ensemble of Chicago - Fanfare for the Warriors (Atlantic, 1973)

R-1053387-1372260271-4704.jpeg.jpg

A good period of the AEC, between Paris and ECM, that I don't revisit enough. Nice to hear them with Abrams on piano. "What's To Say" is a great tune.

Edited by Rabshakeh

1 hour ago, sidewinder said:

Enjoyed seeing that band around the time this one and ‘Post Motown Bop’ came out.

Nice.  I've never seen Bobby Watson live.  Need to correct that! ;) 

I think those two CDs with his Horizon band -- The Inventor and Post Motown Bop -- are among Watson's best.

Edited by HutchFan