So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

JSngry

"Le Ca: New York Romance" Barney Wilen, Venus CD.

I have three different cover versions of this release because it's an absolute favorite. Each feature his lovely companion, Marie Moor. 

This is an RVG recording, and you can sense the seriousness and yet joy of recording in this venue that Wilen likely felt. And it is a great showcase for the beautiful beautiful sound that Wilen got out of all the horns he played. Beautiful sound, beautiful melody and innovative interpretation. He was a master who should have recorded more, but I think he recorded just as much as he wanted to.

Bass – Ira Coleman
Drums – Lewis Nash
Soprano Saxophone, Tenor Saxophone, Baritone Saxophone – Barney Wilen
Piano: Kenny Barron

Recorded at the Rudy Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey on June 19-20, 1994.

image023.jpg

• Replies 78.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

34 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

The Panther and the Lash, by the “other” Clifford Thornton (America, 1971)

2848E3A5-0F53-457E-8CE5-90870BC5B21D.jpeg

I’d like a word with whoever designed the cover for this. 

Clifford Thornton’s work really stands out in the mass of 1969/70 era Paris records on America and BYG as being just that bit more cohesive and special. 

You're on a roll today

13 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

It was the shot of neat Sanborn first thing in the morning that got me started. 

I very seldom reach for Sanborn, but when I do, I know enough to know what the better stuff is, and that one definitely qualifies. Have you done Pearls? Totally different bag than Voyeur, it's standards (mostly) with strings, but you'd be hard pressed to find any bad choices being made by anybody involved.

1 hour ago, jazzbo said:

"Le Ca: New York Romance" Barney Wilen, Venus CD.

I have three different cover versions of this release because it's an absolute favorite. Each feature his lovely companion, Marie Moor. 

This is an RVG recording, and you can sense the seriousness and yet joy of recording in this venue that Wilen likely felt. And it is a great showcase for the beautiful beautiful sound that Wilen got out of all the horns he played. Beautiful sound, beautiful melody and innovative interpretation. He was a master who should have recorded more, but I think he recorded just as much as he wanted to.

Bass – Ira Coleman
Drums – Lewis Nash
Soprano Saxophone, Tenor Saxophone, Baritone Saxophone – Barney Wilen
Piano: Kenny Barron

Recorded at the Rudy Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey on June 19-20, 1994.

image023.jpg

:tup

55 minutes ago, JSngry said:

I very seldom reach for Sanborn, but when I do, I know enough to know what the better stuff is, and that one definitely qualifies. Have you done Pearls? Totally different bag than Voyeur, it's standards (mostly) with strings, but you'd be hard pressed to find any bad choices being made by anybody involved.

Yes! Another good one. For some reason. It hits me on my Stanley Turrentine nerve, which is quite different to the Miller stimulus complex, but it is still good.

R-2071207-1262350954.jpeg.jpg

Disc 2
Sonny's playing was still maturing at this point -- but, jeez, it's amazing how GOOD he sounds on these early (1951-53) recordings.  Sonny didn't spring from Zeus' head, fully-formed, like Athena.  But almost!

54 minutes ago, Peter Friedman said:

51rQ0QMJpAL._AC_UY218_.jpg

Prime late Chet. :tup 

7 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

Yes! Another good one. For some reason. It hits me on my Stanley Turrentine nerve, which is quite different to the Miller stimulus complex, but it is still good.

It's never a bad thing when he lets his Hank Crawford roots run free.

1 hour ago, Rabshakeh said:

It was the shot of neat Sanborn first thing in the morning that got me started. 

Prescribed on the NHS, I trust

I saw Sanborn in a ridiculously rammed Town&Country Club God alone knows when, he was supported by The Brand New Heavies and I suspect at least half the crowd were there for them. Great gig.

'Hideaway' was one of my very earliest 'Jazz' purchases prompted by his work on 'Young Americans'

Rene Costy - Expectancy

even though it's somewhat outside the scope of that Euro modernism thread, this is the record that the thread really brought back into my mind (bought it a year ago or so) ... and on some level, this is all about Euro modernism... and it's nice to finally see the face of someone whose claims to fame are a (large) handful of those anonymous library albums...  and compared to that vast KPM catalogue TTK posted today, it's also kind of nice to have a curated 2CD compilation of the tracks that might still be of interest

(the leader himself on violin I suppose)

Edited by Niko