• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

R-7121764-1434204428-8556.jpeg.jpg

Lasse Werner & Bernt Rosengren ‎– Bombastica! 1959-60

Bombastica! is the title of first tune and of the original Jazzland release of this album, an "attempt to highlight contemporary Swedish jazz composition," but in my book it doesn't describe the music well at all... to me, the whole things sounds more like extremely talented fans trying to create something like Mating Call or an imaginary John Coltrane Prestige album with Al Haig at the piano... works nicely for me

18 hours ago, duaneiac said:

jo-stafford-2018-pathways-less-explored-

Disc 1 of 4.  There is a variety of material on this first disc.  It opens with a then 18 year-old Jo as a member of The Stafford Sisters trio singing with Louis Prima in 1936.  There are a number of tracks from her days as a member of the Pied Pipers before she appears as a performer in her own right in 1944.  This disc also serves to demonstrate what a very special time for music the 1940's were.  With a demand for new songs from Broadway, movies, radio programs and the record industry itself, --and the cross-pollination that went on among those various outlets -- even the also-ran songs of that era can be quite good.  Take for example this not-quite-a-standard Irving Berlin tune --

Gorgeous vocal by Ms. Stafford.  I also love Mr. Weston's string arrangement, not just here, but in general.  I've never found his string arrangements to get "flowery" or "blustery".  To me they glide along almost as if a partner with the singer.  In fact, when first I heard this song, the string arrangement made me think of Fred Astaire and Ginger Rodgers dancing.  Then I find out is is from an Astaire film which I've not seen.  I wonder if Mr. Weston had Mr. Astaire in mind as well when he wrote this arrangement.

That's some amazing breath control....Jo Stafford definitely had her own zone of mojo.

1 hour ago, Rabshakeh said:

What is the concept of this one? Is it a track for each group on the list, arranged by nationality?

Not sure if you're familiar with the original idea of the Nurse With Wound list from 1979,
but the first volume of this series featured French bands from that list and this one is of 
German bands.

Edited by rostasi

2 minutes ago, rostasi said:

Not sure if you're familiar with the original idea of the Nurse With Wound list from 1979,
but the first volume of this series featured French bands from that list and this one is of 
German bands.

I know the list. It just seems like an odd concept for Finder Keepers, in this age of YouTube.

Also, aren't Association P.C. Dutch?

Yeah, I think it's just a flexibility thing. OK, Jasper Van 't Hof started it,
but then Joachim Kühn continued it and they had mostly German band
members and recorded for MPS. I wonder how long the series could
last if Stapleton continues like this. The continuous references over
the years to that NWW list has always been a bit tiresome methinks.
I wonder how much of that is due to Stapleton himself or the chosen
laziness of the music press.

Jazzhattan Suite by the Jazz Interactions Orchestra, composed and arranged by Oliver Nelson (Verve, stereo).

My copy includes a hype sticker reading "music conducted by Joe Newman."  Good thing they added that:  I might not have spent the dollar on this record without knowing that Joe Newman contributed his expertise to the session.