• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

15 hours ago, Peter Friedman said:

71WxGU+tkvL._AC_UY218_.jpg

Is it possible that Johnny O´Neal played with Blakey´s Jazzmessengers for a short time ? I think he was the pianist in summer 83, when I saw a Messenger Group with I think I remember Terence Blanchard, Donald Harrison, Jean Touissant, Johnny O´Neal and Lonnie Plaxico ? 

I remember that event because Dizzy sat in for "Wee", (but only scatting, no tp maybe due to contractual reasons). 

In the course of a ballad medley I think Johnny O´Neal played "Summertime", a very fine version. After that I haven´t seen him any more here in Austria. 

30 minutes ago, Gheorghe said:

Is it possible that Johnny O´Neal played with Blakey´s Jazzmessengers for a short time ? I think he was the pianist in summer 83, when I saw a Messenger Group with I think I remember Terence Blanchard, Donald Harrison, Jean Touissant, Johnny O´Neal and Lonnie Plaxico ? 

You can always search here for answers re: Jazz Messengers:

https://jazzmf.com/art-blakey-chronology-and-the-jazz-messengers/

Scroll down to 1983.

Edited by mikeweil

39 minutes ago, Gheorghe said:

I remember that event because Dizzy sat in for "Wee", (but only scatting, no tp maybe due to contractual reasons). 

In the course of a ballad medley I think Johnny O´Neal played "Summertime", a very fine version. After that I haven´t seen him any more here in Austria. 

Pretty sure I saw O’Neal with the Messengers and yes, it would have been 1983. Probably the same tour. That lineup sounds the same as well.

Johnny Richards "Mosaic Select" disc 2

Which includes

"Experiments in Sound"
s-l300.jpg

and
R-9300803-1524246563-4002.jpeg.jpg

Every time I play something from this selection I hope I really, really, really get into the music. Hasn't happened yet, bu maybe one day. At least it seems each time my system is better and the music sounds better.

Edited by jazzbo

17 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

Every time I play something from this selection I hope I really, really, really get into the music. Hasn't happened yet, bu maybe one day.

It's a noble effort, but,,,I'm afraid that what you hear is what you get. Enjoy the show, just know that dinner is not provided.

8 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

Sometimes this happens. I keep certain things because sometimes this happens.

It does, I know what you mean. It happened for me with the Brookmeyer Select. Finally got over the glib and found the greater groove.

But I've been trying with Richards at least as long as you have and...like I said, nice show, but dinner plans should be made either before or after. Probably after?

The one thing of his that has worked, "clicked", for is Adventures In Time, with Kenton. That's just steroids on speed (or vice-vers). Put on your space helmets and fly faster than the speed of loud! Other than that...I too will keep trying, but I don't see it happening.

What ended up putting a big strike in the Richards column on my scoreboard, was when I went on a Boyd Raeburn binge a little while ago. The first band, great. The George Handy seized the reigns...interesting, often enough. But then Richards took over and I was like...seriously? This hit-you-over-the-head OBVIOUS, like bad movie music. So...left a sour taste in my mouth, that did.

Well, I know to skip that Raeburn period now. ;) There is so much to listen to and diminishing time that I guess those of us in this situation have to be more selective. I'm torn between being open and being. . . selective, often.

After a lot of Afro-Cuban hammering I wanted something very different. This came in the mail yesterday:

"The Complete Bach Cello Suites" Zuill Bailey,  SACD 1 of 2. Octave Records (PS Audio audiophile label)

Very nice sound.

Zuill-Cover-header.jpg

Fiona the dachshund seems to like it.

That Johnny Richards Mosaic Select is my least favorite of that line. It's got moments but they're too far and in between to really dig into the whole set. And it's only 3 CDs. Typically those inspire me to look more deeply into an artist's discography but that one stopped me cold. 

This morning:

R-1337428-1515442735-9457.jpeg.jpg

Which I enjoyed and then something completely different:

R-10548619-1499692350-1028.jpeg.jpg