• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

via YT:

R-1878409-1249642887.jpeg.jpg

Hampton Hawes - Northern Windows (Prestige, 1974)
Hawes' one (?) collaboration with producer David Axelrod. ... One word reaction: Meh.

and

R-3074521-1469813713-5302.jpeg.jpg

Illinois Jacquet - Go Power! (Cadet, 1966)
with Milt Buckner & Alan Dawson, recorded at Lennie's on the Turnpike ... One word reaction: Yeah!

3 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

via YT:

R-1878409-1249642887.jpeg.jpg

Hampton Hawes - Northern Windows (Prestige, 1974)
Hawes' one (?) collaboration with producer David Axelrod. ... One word reaction: Meh.

That record got a lot of good reviews at the time, but I'm with you, it never got my ear. But it did gain and still has traction in some circles. So...there's something there, I guess.

I've got no problems with Hawes' "electric" period per se, but this one seems maybe more style than substance?

Can't fault a man for trying, I suppose.

4 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Is it possible that Johnny O´Neal played with Blakey´s Jazzmessengers for a short time ? I think he was the pianist in summer 83, when I saw a Messenger Group with I think I remember Terence Blanchard, Donald Harrison, Jean Touissant, Johnny O´Neal and Lonnie Plaxico ? 

I remember that event because Dizzy sat in for "Wee", (but only scatting, no tp maybe due to contractual reasons). 

In the course of a ballad medley I think Johnny O´Neal played "Summertime", a very fine version. After that I haven´t seen him any more here in Austria. 

Some more Johnny O'Neal:

1 minute ago, JSngry said:

That record got a lot of good reviews at the time, but I'm with you, it never got my ear. But it did gain and still has traction in some circles. So...there's something there, I guess.

I've got no problems with Hawes' "electric" period per se, but this one seems maybe more style than substance?

Can't fault a man for trying, I suppose.

Yep.  No problem with the concept. ... I'm just not drawn into it like I am with most of Hawes' records.  He almost feels like a secondary character, rather than the star of the show.

Lee Konitz and Rich Perry - RichLee (Steeplechase, 1998)R-10211499-1493474081-8795.jpeg.jpg

I'm interested whether anyone can think of a better deployment of a shellsuit in jazz than here? Konitz demolishes his sparring partner in polyester terms, giving him a crucial psychological edge when it comes to the secondary issue of the saxophone.

The John Dankworth Quartet / The Ronnie Scott Boptet - Bop at Club 11, very early British bop recorded live in 1949.

R-6164778-1500032351-2203.jpeg.jpg

Funny to hear how different trumpeter Dennis Rose sounds to the other featured soloists - almost as if bebop had just hit as he was getting to grips with Armstrong, and he wasn't sure whether to make the jump.

Then on to:

Rolf Kühn Quintett - Solarius (Amiga)

R-2662491-1432872131-3357.jpeg.jpg

This one's a great record.

Ahmed Jamal - Outertimeinnerspace (Impulse!, 1972)

Outertimeinnerspace.jpg

Edited by Rabshakeh

614xLuiuKwL._SX495_.jpg

1 hour ago, Rabshakeh said:

Lee Konitz and Rich Perry - RichLee (Steeplechase, 1998)R-10211499-1493474081-8795.jpeg.jpg

I'm interested whether anyone can think of a better deployment of a shellsuit in jazz than here? Konitz demolishes his sparring partner in polyester terms, giving him a crucial psychological edge when it comes to the secondary issue of the saxophone.

Love the sartorial commentary.  :D