So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

JSngry

An Evening with Earl Hines" Vogue 2 LP set, record 1

R-4289338-1361052698-9324.jpeg.jpg

Wow. This is indeed an amazing record set I  have not played in some time and that's a shame. Hines having a good old time with great support.

Bass – Hank Young
Drums – Bert Dahlander
Guitar – Tiny Grimes
Lead Vocals – Earl Hines, Marva Josie
Piano – Earl Hines

• Replies 78.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

There's always time. 

I'm really enjoying it. A great example of underappreciated and unrecognised 70s bop.

Unfortunately ill-timed as I've entered self-isolation. It'll be snapped up by the time I'm able to make a trip there again. Not the end of the world really.

It's a great cover

Vijay Iyer - Panoptic Modes (Red Giant, 2001)

R-3976283-1351129289-2891.jpeg.jpg

Listening to this early Iyer I am struck by how much more enjoyable his playing used to be. Whilst I am almost always impressed by Iyer's records, I am not sure that I have found them "enjoyable" for a while. They seem to be getting weightier with each year.

6 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

Vijay Iyer - Panoptic Modes (Red Giant, 2001)

R-3976283-1351129289-2891.jpeg.jpg

Listening to this early Iyer I am struck by how much more enjoyable his playing used to be. Whilst I am almost always impressed by Iyer's records, I am not sure that I have found them "enjoyable" for a while. They seem to be getting weightier with each year.

I think I agree with that. I've not enjoyed rather than admired an Iyer release since before 'Break Stuff' except of course the duo with Wadada. (I'm not one to countenance the 'curse of Manfred Eicher' but it's making me wonder)  Maybe I should break out the Fieldwork albums for a dusting down.  They were great, maybe the still are

a1222153239_16.jpg

Two musicians I've enjoyed apart from each other coming together very nicely here

13 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

I think I agree with that. I've not enjoyed rather than admired an Iyer release since before 'Break Stuff' except of course the duo with Wadada. (I'm not one to countenance the 'curse of Manfred Eicher' but it's making me wonder)  

I wonder. Perhaps a mix of Eicher's clammy touch with the effect of age and becoming an older statesman - something that normally doesn't affect jazz as much as other genres, but does seem to have gotten to Iyer.

15 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

a1222153239_16.jpg

Two musicians I've enjoyed apart from each other coming together very nicely here

I don't know these two. Would you start here or elsewhere?

3 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

I wonder. Perhaps a mix of Eicher's clammy touch with the effect of age and becoming an older statesman - something that normally doesn't affect jazz as much as other genres, but does seem to have gotten to Iyer.

I don't know these two. Would you start here or elsewhere?

Yes, a good place to start with them.  It gives a nice flavour of them individually.  Musson is a recent discovery for me, she plays with Pat Thomas and released a very good solo recording Dreamsing not so long ago.  Brice can be heard to good effect on his quintet albums as a writer as well as player. His duos with Tom Challenger are worth hearing too.

I think Musson, Brice and Challenger are all worth following.  A youngish (from where I look at least) generation nicely established.

6 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

Yes, a good place to start with them.  It gives a nice flavour of them individually.  Musson is a recent discovery for me, she plays with Pat Thomas and released a very good solo recording Dreamsing not so long ago.  Brice can be heard to good effect on his quintet albums as a writer as well as player. His duos with Tom Challenger are worth hearing too.

I think Musson, Brice and Challenger are all worth following.  A youngish (from where I look at least) generation nicely established.

Thanks. I notice that Musson has also played with Alexander Hawkins. I will follow up 

Prompted by Kenny Wheeler discussion on another thread:

51KVOapUV3L._SX566_.jpg

The Maritime Jazz Orchestra featuring Kenny Wheeler, John Taylor & Norma Winstone - Now And Now Again (Justin Time, 2002)

Norma Winstone's voice.  What a beautiful and expressive instrument!  She kills me -- especially when she's paired with such terrific composers as Kenny Wheeler or Michael Garrick.

11 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

Prompted by Kenny Wheeler discussion on another thread:

51KVOapUV3L._SX566_.jpg

The Maritime Jazz Orchestra featuring Kenny Wheeler, John Taylor & Norma Winstone - Now And Now Again (Justin Time, 2002)

Norma Winstone's voice.  What a beautiful and expressive instrument!  She kills me -- especially when she's paired with such terrific composers as Kenny Wheeler or Michael Garrick.

I remember seeing Norma singing with Wheeler and Orchestra during Kenny’s 75th Birthday tour. Also saw them a few times with Azimuth.

Just now, sidewinder said:

I remember seeing Norma singing with Wheeler and Orchestra during Kenny’s 75th Birthday tour. Also saw them a few times with Azimuth.

I'm jealous.  :g

I never had an opportunity to see either of them perform.  With Kenny gone, maybe I'll have a chance to catch Norma some day.