• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

16 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

Oliver Nelson - Straight Ahead (New Jazz, 1961)Straight_ahead.jpeg

I feel like this one should be more famous among Dolphy fans. It's my first time listening to it and it's absolutely great. Nelson lets him run the shop.

Perhaps people get out off by the incredibly ugly cover.

George Duvivier + Roy Haynes just wonderful here ....

R-14414842-1574046968-7880.jpeg.jpg

R-14414842-1574046975-6201.jpeg.jpg

Turns out I've been buying some of these "approaching audiophile quality" issues this last go 'round without even realizing it! Not sure how much of a difference it really makes in terms of experience, but not having this one in any other form, works for me!

No idea what this must have sounded like in 1966, but the Tommy Hunter reverb makes it at once sound dated and timeless. The playing doesn't sound "dated" interms of substance, but in terms of time/place, yes. But so what? All real music SHOULD!

Two things apropos of this period of Ra (1963, Choreographer's workshop) - 1 - The saxophonists are SO predicative of what was just about going to happen on the instrument that it ain't even funny. Whatever was about to happen, it was already happening here. 2 - in terms of "normal" jazz - did ANYBODY use the Hunter-style reverb before Sonny Rollins's mouthpiece solo at the end of East Broadway Rundown?

Finally - always a pleasure to read Clifford Allen's contributions anywhere, and this one here is no exception!

2 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

What do you think of this record, T.D.?  I've thought about ordering it.

4th of 4 on the changer, not yet started, will update.

I auditioned the whole disc on youtube through my low-fi computer speakers, and to be honest it could go either way. But I really like both principals (though more familiar with Cowell), and am hoping for the best in hi-fi.

cowell_stan_questions_101b.jpg

After a couple of spins, I like this and am happy with the purchase.

General comments: sound quality excellent IMO, better than expected. Playing time is short, about 40 minutes divided almost equally into two tracks, Questions and Answers-Epilog.

Specifics: Questions is rather "outside" (far more so than I've previously heard from Cowell), more percussive and atonal, more in Burrell's style. Answers-Epilog more accessible, less aggressively avant-garde (though there's some strumming of piano strings, for instance), more recognizably features Cowell's voice (or how I perceive same). Questions took 3 listens (1 on Youtube, 2 at home) to get my head around it, first hearing was rough but now I enjoy the piece.

Overall: probably depends on your opinion of piano duos. I don't own many recordings in the genre, but consider this a very good one. Not essential, but worthwhile if you dig Stanley Cowell (I'm not sufficiently familiar with Dave Burrell's work to venture an analogous statement). If in doubt, a prior release of the album is on Youtube.

13 minutes ago, T.D. said:

cowell_stan_questions_101b.jpg

After a couple of spins, I like this and am happy with the purchase.

General comments: sound quality excellent IMO, better than expected. Playing time is short, about 40 minutes divided almost equally into two tracks, Questions and Answers-Epilog.

Specifics: Questions is rather "outside" (far more so than I've previously heard from Cowell), more percussive and atonal, more in Burrell's style. Answers-Epilog more accessible, less aggressively avant-garde (though there's some strumming of piano strings, for instance), more recognizably features Cowell's voice (or how I perceive same). Questions took 3 listens (1 on Youtube, 2 at home) to get my head around it, first hearing was rough but now I enjoy the piece.

Overall: probably depends on your opinion of piano duos. I don't own many recordings in the genre, but consider this a very good one. Not essential, but worthwhile if you dig Stanley Cowell (I'm not sufficiently familiar with Dave Burrell's work to venture an analogous statement). If in doubt, a prior release of the album is on Youtube.

Glad you posted this, never heard of this record, ordered it immediately along with two others form the same Trio/Ultra Vybe seires, VERY reasonably priced. Exceptionally well-priced! Now, just hope they're all three in stock when it comes time to fill/ship.

Dave Burrell...it took a while for him to really grow on me, he was not immediately apparent for me. But I got to where he was, and it was worth every step it took to get there.

23 minutes ago, soulpope said:

Some good playing by rather unsung Claudio Roditi ....

The late Claudio was one of my favourites.

Saw him twice: in a fantastic quintet with Paquito D'Rivera and with the Dizzy Gillespie United Nations Orchestra.

5 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

Listening to the Jimmy Deuchar Dexter's Opus de Funk (Tempo, 1958), with some good Tubby Hayes and Nick Humble on it.

Derek Humble?

Jimmy Deuchar Dexter sounds cool.

Edited by BillF