Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

55 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

Herbie Hancock - Sound System (Columbia, 1984)

220px-Sound-System.jpg

Bizarrely, I see that Toshinori Kondo and Hamid Drake are on this record. It's a shame that Brötzmann wasn't available.

Now that genuinely made me LOL, lovely idea on a few levels

12 hours ago, T.D. said:

After a couple of spins, I like this and am happy with the purchase.

General comments: sound quality excellent IMO, better than expected. Playing time is short, about 40 minutes divided almost equally into two tracks, Questions and Answers-Epilog.

Specifics: Questions is rather "outside" (far more so than I've previously heard from Cowell), more percussive and atonal, more in Burrell's style. Answers-Epilog more accessible, less aggressively avant-garde (though there's some strumming of piano strings, for instance), more recognizably features Cowell's voice (or how I perceive same). Questions took 3 listens (1 on Youtube, 2 at home) to get my head around it, first hearing was rough but now I enjoy the piece.

Overall: probably depends on your opinion of piano duos. I don't own many recordings in the genre, but consider this a very good one. Not essential, but worthwhile if you dig Stanley Cowell (I'm not sufficiently familiar with Dave Burrell's work to venture an analogous statement). If in doubt, a prior release of the album is on Youtube.

Thank you, T.D.!  :tup 

NP:

R-6144202-1412174828-7378.jpeg.jpg

Just now, Rabshakeh said:

Free Jazz Collective's menu du jour. Four and a half stars well earned?

Only on the Butcher so far.  I often think when listening to improv like this that it's much better in the flesh.  I must have hundreds of albums that sound like this in some way. I can see why the reviewer would score it highly maybe not me, today.  It's very listenable, don't get me wrong. Trombone and percussionist are good and new to me. Three/Three and half stars, so far