Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 hours ago, jazzbo said:

I need to revisit the new release of Languidity again very soon. A Sun Ra album that is inescapable once you've really felt the recording.

I guess I've got the latest iteration? A 2-CD set from Strut Art Yard?

I'm finding that I like the "alternate version" best, got more...and less... ok, it's just a funkier mix.

Of course, I'm listening on the worst possible combination of listening ingredients I have, but part of me says that that proves my point?

14 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

Yes, that's the most recent version, just months old. It's nice to have both versions.

Wasn't sure if it was the most recent or not...I'd heard a lot of chatter about a 4 LP version and stuff, so I guess this is the CD iteration of that. Good!

I've been going back and forth with both versions all day, and think that the "alternate version" pulls me in harder and deeper than the original. But that could change if I play it in the car a lot, like I said, I'm playing on as close to a digital equivalent of a car radio as I have, not by choice, it's just what fits on the table and keeps the sound out of the rest of the house while i work.

Not complaining, mind you, it's not unlike the night porter gig at Burger King and having the overnight jazz FM radio on in the kitchen while I scrubbed the toilets...I could have used this record then, actually!

And right now, I hear an ingredient - clearer, oomphier tympani!

R-3839390-1457900772-9239.jpeg.jpg

The 3 discs other than Prepare Thyself to Deal With a Miracle. I've long owned that one; recently picked up this set to get the others.

8 hours ago, JSngry said:

I guess I've got the latest iteration? A 2-CD set from Strut Art Yard?

I'm finding that I like the "alternate version" best, got more...and less... ok, it's just a funkier mix.

Of course, I'm listening on the worst possible combination of listening ingredients I have, but part of me says that that proves my point?

[Lanquidity] Great album, I only own the original, strongly considered the reissue but drew a line in the sand.

Damn, you all are making me reconsider.

Yes, that was 1986. 

After that, Eddie Harris played for TWO WEEKS at Jazzspelunke, Dürergasse 1060 Viena with the same bassist and drummer. Fantastic, I was there almost every evening (which was easy for a working person since live music was only until 22.00h . And they played mostly the stuff from that LP. 

Did you see it too ? 
I was mostly sittin at the bar, I was a Spelunke regular and played there quite often. 

One evening, when the Eddie Harris was on stage, Austro-Pop-singer Wilfried was there, and we talked a lot about jazz, he stated that he is a big fan of Eddie Harris and has all his albums. Really a great evening. Great music, and after that a lot of talk and laughin with Wilfried. He seemed to be happy there is a guy to talk about jazz and other things of life, without wanting an autograph or something...... , this was an evening when everything was right....

20 minutes ago, Gheorghe said:

Yes, that was 1986. 

After that, Eddie Harris played for TWO WEEKS at Jazzspelunke, Dürergasse 1060 Viena with the same bassist and drummer. Fantastic, I was there almost every evening (which was easy for a working person since live music was only until 22.00h . And they played mostly the stuff from that LP. 

Did you see it too ? 
I was mostly sittin at the bar, I was a Spelunke regular and played there quite often. 

One evening, when the Eddie Harris was on stage, Austro-Pop-singer Wilfried was there, and we talked a lot about jazz, he stated that he is a big fan of Eddie Harris and has all his albums. Really a great evening. Great music, and after that a lot of talk and laughin with Wilfried. He seemed to be happy there is a guy to talk about jazz and other things of life, without wanting an autograph or something...... , this was an evening when everything was right....

Unfortunately missed it .... but can imagine the place + music worked mighty fine ....