So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

JSngry

Andre Hodair - American Jazzmen Play Andre Hodeir's Essais (Savoy, 1953)

R-4333597-1376299677-3522.jpeg.jpg

Looking at Discogs, I'm surprised at the very low price for which this one goes. Most of the records that were referred to in the recent European jazz modernism thread seem to go for inflated values (possibly due to be highly prized rarities in the Japanese market, as someone noted on that thread). This one goes for £3.

Edited by Rabshakeh

• Replies 79.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Palmetto All Stars "The Other Side of Ellington" 

R-11110614-1510037051-3114.jpeg.jpg

Bass – Ben Allison  
Drums – Matt Wilson 
Guitar – Pete McCann
Piano – David Berkman 
Tenor Saxophone, Soprano Saxophone – Joel Frahm 

Rather nice interpretations and good sound. Scratching an Ellington itch I've had all weekend.

Edited by jazzbo

9 hours ago, kh1958 said:

Is there a physical version of this available?

No. It's a "special" on bandcamp only, like the Dewey Redman thing from the same source. Approved by Billy.

Not expensive though, good recording and as you can expect, everybody plays well. It's Billy!

Ella Fitzgerald "The Lost Berlin Tapes" Verve cd, recorded in Berlin, 1962 but not released til last year.

This is helping put some pep in my step. I lost a few hours of sleep this morning due to one of the heaviest rain storms I ever remember here in Ohio and an anxious wife and dachshund in the middle of the night. But despite high winds there's no damage to the property or cars and we didn't even lose power, which is unusual for this type of storm--usually a tree or tree limb in this forested area takes down a power line.

Ella is so chipper and energetic and amused and amusing that I am getting some energy back for a spell.

ella-600x533.jpg

Going way back. . . Duke Ellington "Vol. 3 1926-1927" Masters of Jazz cd

I like this series as the transfers are very good with minimal processing, and things are in chronological order which in Ellington's case usually means a handful of labels each disc.

Ellington of any period is interesting to me. I've stayed away from the earliest period for too long. . . I'll make up for that.

0116432.jpg

Charlie Parker "The Birth of the Bebop--Celebrating Bird at 100--Rediscovered sides from the Dial Recordings"

752156111221.jpg?20210608115302

I usually reach for Savoy sides with Bird because those were where I first encountered him and I love the sound of the discs I have but today the Dial called out to me. . . . Great music on both labels!

Edited by jazzbo

43 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

Charlie Parker "The Birth of the Bebop--Celebrating Bird at 100--Rediscovered sides from the Dial Recordings"

752156111221.jpg?20210608115302

I usually reach for Savoy sides with Bird because those were where I first encountered him and I love the sound of the discs I have but today the Dial called out to me. . . . Great music on both labels!

:tup :tup

12 minutes ago, Peter Friedman said:

51rWgB64MIL._AC_UY218_.jpg

:tup

2 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

I thought this was a little known Sam Rivers record for a second. Identical wardrobe.

Now that you mention it, I can see some resemblance. Similar scruffy 70s hair & facial hair. Similar large forehead & prominent brow.

And they're both wonderful musicians!  ;) 

NP:

61KQgyep67L.jpg

Advertised on the back of Southern Horizons (two different sessions, btw, one engineered by Joe Meek!) is this:

Another JAZZLAND album of British jazz is:

The Message from Britain - TUBBY HAYES and RONNIE SCOTT Jazz Couriers - JLP 34 & Stereo 9345

Gotta love the unpredictability of the cover art... :rolleyes:

R-3478370-1331988584.jpeg.jpg

R-3478370-1331988588.jpeg.jpg