Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, JSngry said:

Advertised on the back of Southern Horizons (two different sessions, btw, one engineered by Joe Meek!) is this:

Another JAZZLAND album of British jazz is:

The Message from Britain - TUBBY HAYES and RONNIE SCOTT Jazz Couriers - JLP 34 & Stereo 9345

Gotta love the unpredictability of the cover art... :rolleyes:

R-3478370-1331988584.jpeg.jpg

R-3478370-1331988588.jpeg.jpg

Joe Meek engineered at Lansdowne Studio for Denis Preston before he set up his own operation.

The ‘Jazz  Couriers’ recorded for Tempo (Decca) whilst they were extant so this one must have been a deal with Tony Hall. This session issued in UK as Tempo TAP 26 ‘The Last Word’.

Edited by sidewinder

14 hours ago, jazzbo said:

Charlie Parker "The Birth of the Bebop--Celebrating Bird at 100--Rediscovered sides from the Dial Recordings"

752156111221.jpg?20210608115302

I usually reach for Savoy sides with Bird because those were where I first encountered him and I love the sound of the discs I have but today the Dial called out to me. . . . Great music on both labels!

The strange thing is that as a boy I got to Bird through Mingus:lol:. And Miles. Mingus with "Parkeriana" and Miles with "Ah-Leu-Cha" from one of his CBS-Albums with the first great quintet. 

I thought: Who must be that legendary Charlie Parker they are referring to and tell that they had learned stuff from him ? 

So the next day I first bought that Savoy Double Album (Master-Takes?) and was mesmerized. I became a Parker fan from the first notes I heard. A week later it was the Dial records with Miles, and on some tracks Jay Jay Johnson, and the earlier sides "Cool Blues" with Garner.... And at the same time "Bird and Diz at Carnegie Hall". 

But a key moment for me was even one week later when I found "One Night at Birdland" the CBS double album with Bird,Fats, Bud. 

Edited by Gheorghe

5 hours ago, JSngry said:

Advertised on the back of Southern Horizons (two different sessions, btw, one engineered by Joe Meek!) is this:

Another JAZZLAND album of British jazz is:

The Message from Britain - TUBBY HAYES and RONNIE SCOTT Jazz Couriers - JLP 34 & Stereo 9345

Gotta love the unpredictability of the cover art... :rolleyes:

R-3478370-1331988584.jpeg.jpg

R-3478370-1331988588.jpeg.jpg

:tup

R-11794989-1522598089-8791.jpeg.jpg

Connective tissue between Ellington, Taylor, Bley, and the rest of the jazz piano trio corpus profundo.

As is the universal norm, it's the left hand that roots the anchor. Quiet as it might be kept, Sun Ra had one of the strongest left hands out there. Or in here.

Lee Morgan "Complete Live at the Lighthouse" Blue Note Japan UHQCD edition, disc 5. which has two compositions of Harold "Tyner" Mabern within it.

This music has really been dominating the last week plus. Which is nice. Sent my US copy off to my friend Dave Laczko who will be surprised on Thursday or so when he gets his mail. ;)

188018-lee-morgan-the-complete-live-at-t

5 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

Lee Morgan "Complete Live at the Lighthouse" Blue Note Japan UHQCD edition, disc 5. which has two compositions of Harold "Tyner" Mabern within it.

This music has really been dominating the last week plus. Which is nice. Sent my US copy off to my friend Dave Laczko who will be surprised on Thursday or so when he gets his mail. ;)

188018-lee-morgan-the-complete-live-at-t

That's such a heart-warming gesture.  I'm sure your friend will be bowled over

Now just one more disc before I take off to my Dad's. . . so I popped in this one which always improves my mood in any version I have. This is my first listen to this new Japanese version.

Louis Armstrong "Satchmo Serenades" (expanded) Japan Universal UHQCD

R-12213031-1530626047-1812.jpeg.jpg

41 minutes ago, JSngry said:

R-11794989-1522598089-8791.jpeg.jpg

Connective tissue between Ellington, Taylor, Bley, and the rest of the jazz piano trio corpus profundo.

As is the universal norm, it's the left hand that roots the anchor. Quiet as it might be kept, Sun Ra had one of the strongest left hands out there. Or in here.

I don't know this one. Another one to check out. 

I'm currently on 1973's Astro Black

R-996671-1259614379.jpeg.jpg

Not the greatest Sun Ra release (is there one?) but in some way the most characteristic.