• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Referentzhunter said:

21417.jpg

Truly great album by a great artist.  I hope she releases something again soon. I miss The Johnsons but Anohni's debut was an interesting development.  One of THE best live experiences ever seeing A&tJs

33 minutes ago, The Magnificent Goldberg said:

Someone in a hospital bed?

MG

Candy, darling...

25 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

Truly great album by a great artist.  I hope she releases something again soon. I miss The Johnsons but Anohni's debut was an interesting development.  One of THE best live experiences ever seeing A&tJs

Candy, darling...

Can't be. Candy Darling died in 1974. And was an actress anyway.

So, who?

MG

31 minutes ago, The Magnificent Goldberg said:

Can't be. Candy Darling died in 1974. And was an actress anyway.

So, who?

MG

Why ever not? A photo taken of her used later for an album cover. No mystery there, surely

"The cover is a photograph by Peter Hujar of Warhol Superstar Candy Darling on her deathbed (aptly titled "Candy Darling on Her Deathbed").[5]"  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Am_a_Bird_Now

"1974 photo of Andy Warhol superstar Candy Darling on the cover of Antony and the Johnsons' second full length, I Am a Bird Now, is the perfect complement to the ghostly hymnals that flit and sigh behind its black and white shadows. A melancholy but arrestingly beautiful image, it depicts Darling on her deathbed; bright flowers float behind her upturned arm like a cluster of soft, pale moons radiating light onto the bleached sea of sheets in which she's drowning."  https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/467-i-am-a-bird-now/

Disc 4 of the UHQCD version from Japan of Lee Morgan "Complete Live at the Lighthouse." It's nice to have a full run of a club appearance this way--I enjoy this in the way that I enjoy full runs of Grateful Dead shows in a box set. A way to deeply absorb the music.

s-l400.jpg

7 minutes ago, jlhoots said:

:tup:tup

Indeed. Ra was one hell of a pianist. The independence of his hands and that STRONG left hand..one of the more interesting and substantial solo piano records of the "jazz" corpus. And three volumes (3 LPs on 2 CDs, actually) is a great chance to just get all up in there with it ,It's the kind of music that is built for that!

Kenny Burrell "A Generation Ago Today" Universal Japan SHM-CD 2021

Bass – Ron Carter
Drums – Grady Tate
Guitar – Kenny Burrell
Piano – Richard Wyands 
Producer – Creed Taylor
Saxophone – Phil Woods 
Vibraphone – Mike Mainieri 
Recorded December 15 & 20, 1966, January 31 and March 28, 1967.

A very nice date with piano or vibes only on two tracks, the rest just Woods, Burrell, Carter and Tate. Swing indeed. Nice remastering on this most recent reissue from Japan!

51G49M98sEL.jpg

3 hours ago, mjazzg said:

Why ever not? A photo taken of her used later for an album cover. No mystery there, surely

"The cover is a photograph by Peter Hujar of Warhol Superstar Candy Darling on her deathbed (aptly titled "Candy Darling on Her Deathbed").[5]"  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Am_a_Bird_Now

"1974 photo of Andy Warhol superstar Candy Darling on the cover of Antony and the Johnsons' second full length, I Am a Bird Now, is the perfect complement to the ghostly hymnals that flit and sigh behind its black and white shadows. A melancholy but arrestingly beautiful image, it depicts Darling on her deathbed; bright flowers float behind her upturned arm like a cluster of soft, pale moons radiating light onto the bleached sea of sheets in which she's drowning."  https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/467-i-am-a-bird-now/

AAAAARRRRRGGGGHHHHH!!!!

I's tryin' to find out the album title and artist!!!!!

GROOOOOO!

:)

MG

13 minutes ago, The Magnificent Goldberg said:

AAAAARRRRRGGGGHHHHH!!!!

I's tryin' to find out the album title and artist!!!!!

GROOOOOO!

:)

MG

Well, why didn't you say so :) 

It says what it is in both paragraphs/links in my last post above - Anthony & The Johnsons - I Am A Bird Now.  Hit the wiki link in my previous post for full info if you need any more