• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

50 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

Binker Golding - Moon Day (2021)

Binker_Golding_John_Edwards_Steve_Noble_Moon_Day.jpg

I always think of Golding as a young up and coming talent, but he's not much younger than me. 

I thought that was really good.  There's a new Binker&Moses from Gearbox due soon.  I've liked all their previous releases.  oddly, I just couldn't get on with Binker's leader date on Gearbox.

18 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

I thought that was really good.  There's a new Binker&Moses from Gearbox due soon.  I've liked all their previous releases.  oddly, I just couldn't get on with Binker's leader date on Gearbox.

I agree. I think they are a strong partnership. Boyd is a Very Good Thing for the London scene in my opinion. Golding's style is a little pastichey, I think, but I enjoy what he does. It's particularly good here because the bass and percussionist get to push him around with a bit of freedom, which draws him out.

I agree on that leader date, although for me it is partly down to the cover photo, which does agree with me.

12 hours ago, Peter Friedman said:

615ZkUKETGS._AC_UY218_.jpg

For me, it´s the very best from all BN albums Dexter made in the 60´s. 

I like them all, but let´s say: "Dexter Calling" would be great, but somehow the great rhythm section, one of the best of all, somehow does not fit to Dexter or vice versa.

"Gettin Around" is a bit too comfortable

"A Swinging Affair" would be from the same date als "Go" but doesn´t have the same fire.....

After my Ray Charles bash yesterday, I carried on with Ray - yes, a real overdose

Ray Charles In Person - Atlantic 1959

Ray Charles In Person (LP, Mono, Album) album cover

Ray Charles at Newport - Atlantic 1958
R-7366723-1439926628-3810.jpeg.jpg

At Newport 1960 - Wax Time

At Newport 1960 (LP, Album) album cover

Berlin 1962 - Pablo
Berlin, 1962 album cover

Live in Concert 1964
Ray Charles Live In Concert album cover

Coo! But I don't think of that as an overdose.

MG

Breakfast this morning, with

Dr Nico & Les Redoutables - Dr Nico aux USA - Africa New Sound 1985

R-4727597-1379092587-3039.jpeg.jpg

Bumba Massa & Les Redoutables - Bumba Massa & Les Redoutables - Africa New Sound 1985

R-6576830-1422365533-1272.jpeg.jpg

Same band, same guy doing the cover art. Label & studio in Lome, Togo.

Chief Commander Ebenezer Obey - Austerity - Decca West Africa 1982
R-4824187-1376778396-7464.jpeg.jpg

Now
Horace Sliver - The hard bop grandpop - Impulse 1996
R-2569914-1290959837.jpeg.jpg

MG

1 hour ago, Gheorghe said:

For me, it´s the very best from all BN albums Dexter made in the 60´s. 

I like them all, but let´s say: "Dexter Calling" would be great, but somehow the great rhythm section, one of the best of all, somehow does not fit to Dexter or vice versa.

"Gettin Around" is a bit too comfortable

"A Swinging Affair" would be from the same date als "Go" but doesn´t have the same fire.....

For me top notch being "Our Man In Paris" hands down :D ....

41 minutes ago, soulpope said:

For me top notch being "Our Man In Paris" hands down :D ....

For me too as a reunion, but I didn´t mention it in this context, because it´s a rare thing at BN to record such reunions, they usually used current rhythm sections. 

As I know, the 1963 date for Dexter in Paris was meant to be with Kenny Drew on piano, who got sick. Dexter wanted to do originals and Bud would not cooperate on that new material. So what came out was a topnotch bop session with some of the most famous bop standards played by three creators of that style with the fantastic Pierre Michelot. 

That´s my impression on that album. But as I said, it´s quite untypical for BN. 

2 hours ago, The Magnificent Goldberg said:

Now
Horace Sliver - The hard bop grandpop - Impulse 1996
R-2569914-1290959837.jpeg.jpg

MG

:tup

8 minutes ago, Gheorghe said:

For me too as a reunion, but I didn´t mention it in this context, because it´s a rare thing at BN to record such reunions, they usually used current rhythm sections. 

As I know, the 1963 date for Dexter in Paris was meant to be with Kenny Drew on piano, who got sick. Dexter wanted to do originals and Bud would not cooperate on that new material. So what came out was a topnotch bop session with some of the most famous bop standards played by three creators of that style with the fantastic Pierre Michelot. 

My favourite of that bunch is Doin' Allright.

Now playing:

R-7082400-1433282744-3317.jpeg.jpg

Edited by BillF

18 minutes ago, Gheorghe said:

Fair enough .... superb music this or the other way ....

37 minutes ago, bresna said:

Over the years, this has become one of my favorite Horace Silver recordings. I still pull it off the shelf before a lot of his classic Blue Note dates.

Undoubtedly the best of his post-Blue Note albums and NOT just because of Ronnie Cuber, though I AM a fan of his. It seems to me to be part of the same batch as his sixties recordings, though it's not, of course. But the feel is the same and the approach to the compositions is.

MG