Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

R-13074700-1547832244-6185.jpeg.jpg

One of the first two or three Ra albums I bought on impulse! ca. 1974-75 and I have been so lazy about playing LPs lately that I bought this CD. And OH, BTW - extra material! Laziness pays!

To top it off, the extra material keeps the groove going past the OG LP material. One of my more favorite Ra records form this period, totally focused, totally straight ahead (in momentum/direction, not in "style"), doesn't lag or drift for a second.

Fitting to the VSOP thread I had opened and to my last posting about Ron Carters bass sound.

This one is my favourite from Carter´s late 70s. It came out right at the time I heard Ron with his own quartet. 

I love it, it´s some studio musicians too at things like the title tune, but there is that stellar group with Chick, Henderson and Tony Williams too. 

One tune, that nice waltz .... some years ago my late mother in law was visiting us for 2 weeks and sometimes, when my wife and her mother played rummy, I went into the other room , closed the door so I wouldn´t disturb the ladies and by the way I listened to this CD, and in came my mother in law and said, wow that´s beautiful, though she never had listened to jazz, more to dance music....

Nick Brignola - This Is It! (Priam). I have been looking for this very rare LP for many years but never came close. I never even saw the cover until a friend sent me a link to listen to it. It's pretty good for a private recording. There even seems to be some overdubbing (unless someone uncredited is playing bari alongside Nick). Nick is credited with Bari Sax, Alto Sax, Saxello, Flute & Acoustic Bass. The rhythm section is Reese Markewich on piano, Glen Moore on bass & Dick Berk on drums. Whoever needle-dropped this had a very clean record or access to the master. Ne'er a click to be heard.

I wonder what happened to this tape? Wasn't Priam Brignola's private label? Maybe his estate has the tape?

R-2903936-1536608886-7394.jpeg.jpg

R-2903936-1536608887-1255.jpeg.jpg