Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, mjazzg said:

R-15489564-1593106809-4663.jpeg.jpg

1 hour ago, mjazzg said:

MITCHELL, Roscoe - Dots/Pieces For Percussion & Woodwinds

How are these two? 

Just finished: 

Aquiles Navarro and Tcheser Holmes - Heritage of the Invisible (International Anthem, 2021)

R-16102172-1603534074-6333.jpeg.jpg

Now on:

Pat Matshikiza and Kippie Moketsi - Tshona! (the Sun, 1975)

R-2861374-1440459156-7029.jpeg.jpg

Basil Coetzee very very good on the title track here. One of my favourite records by non-emigrees from the period.

1 hour ago, Rabshakeh said:

How are these two? 

Just finished: 

Aquiles Navarro and Tcheser Holmes - Heritage of the Invisible (International Anthem, 2021)

R-16102172-1603534074-6333.jpeg.jpg

Now on:

Basil Coetzee very very good on the title track here. One of my favourite records by non-emigrees from the period.

Both very good in very different ways. The Roscoe is "musical pointillism" if I were sat in Pseud's Corner.  Very deliberate use of space/time, lots of single notes from saxophone and/or the percussion.  All sounds very organic. I haven't enjoyed a RM release as much on first listen for ages.

I knew Mortazavi from his last solo album so was intrigued by the addition of beats. Works really well and is short and sweet at just over 20 minutes. It's on Tidal and Spotify.

I do like the Navarro/Holmes a lot despite it always sounding too short or unfulfilled in some way.  What makes you of it?

The 

2 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

Rab, I'm not familiar with that one.  Looks very interesting.  Thanks for the heads-up. 

EDIT:  Just looking at this on discogs.  Yowza.  Expensive!  :o

Edited by HutchFan

1 hour ago, mjazzg said:

I do like the Navarro/Holmes a lot despite it always sounding too short or unfulfilled in some way.  What makes you of it?

The 

It does have a slightly half chewed feel to it, but, like a lot of IA's releases, I'm impressed with the ease with which it fuses genres and creates something new. It's not my favourite but it's good, I think.

9 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

Rab, I'm not familiar with that one.  Looks very interesting.  Thanks for the heads-up. 

Circular township vamps with three horn players. It's a South African equivalent to the sort of groove based jazz you had in the US, I guess. 

As is often the case with the 70s SA jazz releases, the recording quality is a little lifeless, which is sad because the music is really all there.  But the soloing is really great, particularly Coetzee. 

4 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

Circular township vamps with three horn players. It's a South African equivalent to the sort of groove based jazz you had in the US, I guess. 

As is often the case with the 70s SA jazz releases, the recording quality is a little lifeless, which is sad because the music is really all there.  But the soloing is really great, particularly Coetzee. 

Will keep an eye out for it.  Thx!  :tup 

Next up:

51ixtL7D63L.jpg

Excellent.