• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

Great stuff!

Yes, just discovering it.  Seems to be a lot of good music, old and new out of SA at the moment. Needs further investigation.

Any tips gratefully received especially for new recordings.  Next up is Ndabo Zulu & Umgidi Ensemble

Edited by mjazzg

Rudresh Mahanthappa - Hero. Trio (Whirlwind, 2020)

download.jpeg

18 minutes ago, soulpope said:

ab67616d0000b273e42e691a2cbe62f40dd40b7f

I always loved this cover but never really grasped why. Clearly Jones and Montoliu are looking at the wrong cameras, whereas Johnson's creasing up over something Montoliu muttered. 

30 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

Yes, just discovering it.  Seems to be a lot of good music, old and new out of SA at the moment. Needs further investigation.

Any tips gratefully received especially for new recordings.  

I don't know many I'm afraid. My folks are all born in South Africa, and I've got received knowledge up to the early/mid 60s, when they all split, after which it is all about the emigres, particularly those based in London. That means they saw a lot of the 60s players live, but don't really know the records that they released in the late 60s, which didn't make it out.

The only family members who stayed in SA were... not jazz fans, so I'm as clueless about the new stuff as anyone, and irritatingly reliant on marketing from e.g. Blue Note and Impulse!, so also grateful for any recommendations.

11 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

Rudresh Mahanthappa - Hero. Trio (Whirlwind, 2020)

download.jpeg

I always loved this cover but never really grasped why. Clearly Jones and Montoliu are looking at the wrong cameras, whereas Johnson's creasing up over something Montoliu muttered. 

I don't know many I'm afraid. My folks are all born in South Africa, and I've got received knowledge up to the early/mid 60s, when they all split, after which it is all about the emigres, particularly those based in London. That means they saw a lot of the 60s players live, but don't really know the records that they released in the late 60s, which didn't make it out.

The only family members who stayed in SA were... not jazz fans, so I'm as clueless about the new stuff as anyone, and irritatingly reliant on marketing from e.g. Blue Note and Impulse!, so also grateful for any recommendations.

Sounds like we need a SA Jazz thread

2 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

I’ll ask my friend Jordi Suñol. He took the picture. By the way, you mean Alvin Queen, right? (no Jones in the lineup).