• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Woofy Productions WPCD 37 (9 CD box + Scrapbook) - The Kenton Alumni " Live at the Royal Palms Inn" - rec. 1993

CD1 Conte Candoli & Carl Fontana 5tet
CD2 Carl Fontana & Buddy Childers 5tet
CD3 Bob Cooper & Carl Fontana 5tet
CD4 Bud Shank & Conte Candoli 5tet
CD5 Shorty Rogers & Bill Perkins 5tet
CD6 Carl Fontana & Steve Huffsteter 5tet
CD7 Bill Holman & Conte Candoli 5tet
CD8 Buddy Childers & Jack Nimitz 5tet
CD9 Bill Perlkins, Pete Candoli & Carl Fontana Sextet

[IMG]

36 minutes ago, EKE BBB said:

R-9046490-1473839598-9319.jpeg.jpg

:tup

18 minutes ago, Peter Friedman said:

91e8pj1I1pL._AC_UY218_.jpg

One of my earlier jazz outings was seeing the Alex Welsh band at Macks, 100 Oxford Street, London (later the 100 Club), surrounded by whirling jivers on the dance floor. The papers were full of the Sputnik launch, which dates it at October 1957, with me one month short of my 18th birthday. :)

Edited by BillF

22 hours ago, John Tapscott said:

R-2994128-1377206606-2796.jpeg.jpg

CD from this set - listening to them in no particular order 

R-4093515-1355010457-7306.jpeg.jpg

Manhattan Symphony is probably the best from the CBS years, just a perfect album, not only the music itself that is superb, and the long time rhyhtm section, but also the cover photo and the liner notes. 

But the very best Gordon track from his later years is a live version of "Fried Bananas" on the two double albums "CBS Allstars at Montreux". Most of the stuff is long tunes of a mixture of fusion and straight ahead, and at one point there is the small group track of Dexter doing "Fried Bananas" and this is the best version I ever heard. 

1 hour ago, John Tapscott said:

See the source image

Outstanding. :tup

2 hours ago, BillF said:

One of my earlier jazz outings was seeing the Alex Welsh band at Macks, 100 Oxford Street, London (later the 100 Club), surrounded by whirling jivers on the dance floor. The papers were full of the Sputnik launch, which dates it at October 1957, with me one month short of my 18th birthday. :)

Cool story, Bill !!!  

10 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

Cool story, Bill !!!  

Glad you liked it! My one and only return to the 100 Club was in the summer of 1981 by which time the dancers had disappeared and the music on offer was a tad more sophisticated, but equally exciting: Sonny Stitt with Red Holloway!

Edited by BillF

8 minutes ago, BillF said:

Glad you liked it! My one and only return to the 100 Club was in the summer of 1981 by which time the dancers had disappeared and the music on offer was a tad more sophisticated, but equally exciting: Sonny Stitt with Red Holloway!

Oooh. I would've loved to see that two-tenor show.  :) 

Wayne Shorter - Atlantis (Columbia, 1985)

220px-Atlantis_(Wayne_Shorter_album).jpg

A better album than I remember. First time around I was shocked because it's barely jazz. This time round I was pleased to find that it wasn't the limp quiet storm / smooth fest I'd recalled it being. 

There's more of a link between this sort of thing, Miles Davis and people like Steve Coleman than is commonly discussed. A new sort of fusion in an era of quiet storm, new wave, electro and smooth jazz.