Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 hours ago, JSngry said:

Experiencing them all in real time I was relatively enthusiastic about the former, retro tho it was. but when J Moods came out I was like, is this all this guy is going to do, play these emotionally detached attempts at signifying some sort of "attitude" instead of showing some real voice? And then...no he was going do more, but it was certainly less...

Part of the appeal of J Moods for me is the group, with Marcus Roberts, Bob Hurst, and Jeff Tain Watts.  Not a Wynton expert but I think this was his first outing with that particular lineup.. I just ordered a used copy of Live At Blues Alley, which features the same quartet a few months later.  

6 minutes ago, ghost of miles said:

Part of the appeal of J Moods for me is the group, with Marcus Roberts, Bob Hurst, and Jeff Tain Watts.  Not a Wynton expert but I think this was his first outing with that particular lineup.. I just ordered a used copy of Live At Blues Alley, which features the same quartet a few months later.  

It was, and I found the whole thing too detached (in the bad way) for my liking. The Blues Alley set is waaaaayyyy too many records, but in small does, Marcus Roberts can get you into thinking that he's into something with his various metric trickeries. But in large(r) does, it's like, ok, what ELSE does he gonna gots here, and the answer is....not much, apparently.

Mileages are definitely going to vary on this one, of course, but this period/band was just WAAAAAAYYYY too "cool" for my liking. Like all of the cool of the Plugged Nickel band and none of the heat, like, say, Tony with a flat-line Emotional EQ applied...all them clean suits and ain't nobody sweating.

Not that it even matters now, because what hapened even past this kinda speaks for itself if you can call an impotent incoherent roar to be "speaking".

But again, mileages may vary.

Frank Foster & Frank Wess - Frankly Speaking (Concord). The Japanese CD was expensive, so I picked up an LP copy from a discogs seller. The seller listed the artwork as "Mint". Mint? With initials/writing on the back, a smell of cigarettes and faint ring wear on the front cover? Really? Whatever... the LP is mint and that's what really matters. The music is nice so far. Reid is really forward in the mix... too much bass to be honest.

Frank Foster, Frank Wess - Frankly Speaking | Discogs

1 minute ago, Rabshakeh said:

The London Experimental Jazz Quartet - Invisible Roots (Shout!, 1974)

F518E931-B0B2-49C3-8723-50F049EBC6FB.jpeg

All the way from London, Canadia.

I've flirted with buying that one.  It definitely has something about it apart from the cover photo

Edited by mjazzg

4 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

I've flirted with buying that one.  It definitely has something about it apart from the cover photo

I don’t own it, but it’s streamable, which I think is enough for me in this instance. It is a strong release, but I don’t see myself listening to it all that much if I owned it. 

1 hour ago, Rabshakeh said:

Tete Mbambisa - Tete's Big Sound (The Sun, 1976)

R-9155707-1475764780-1411.jpeg.jpg

This one, on the other hand, I would bite my arm off to buy, although from Discogs, I don’t think that would come close to covering the price.

6 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

I don’t own it, but it’s streamable, which I think is enough for me in this instance. It is a strong release, but I don’t see myself listening to it all that much if I owned it. 

This one, on the other hand, I would bite my arm off to buy, although from Discogs, I don’t think that would come close to covering the price.

An arm and a leg, perhaps?

I think I thought the same about the London EJQ and it's telling that I haven't streamed it for a long time.

My knowledge of these SA (?) albums/musicians is next to zero.  I need to educate myself so please do keep listening to them...

Edit to add: the cassette's quite cheap, hipster points too :rolleyes:

Edited by mjazzg

13 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

Edit to add: the cassette's quite cheap, hipster points too :rolleyes:

Ha ha! 

So true. Vinyl’s for dads. Streaming is so corporate. The cool kids are all on laserdisc.

13 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

My knowledge of these SA (?) albums/musicians is next to zero.  I need to educate myself so please do keep listening to them...

I’m gradually feeling my way in. Mostly at the moment I’m checking out what I can find with Basil Coetzee or Sipho Gumede on. Between them they seem to be on a lot of the most well known releases from the 70s and 80s.

Edited by Rabshakeh