Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, John Tapscott said:

This one got some notice today from Marc Myers. I just downloaded it on itunes. Will listen.

Listening now (this one is for you, Bill).   

JOE MAGNARELLI & GARY SMULYAN with THE TILDEN WEBB TRIO - Live @ Cory Weeds' Cellar Jazz Club

Thanks, John. A new one which I've just downloaded from Spotify to my phone. Will listen while doing the supermarket shopping tomorrow. :) I'm expecting something good as Mags and Smul are favourite musicians of mine and very nice guys, too - I've met both.

I too was alerted to the Lundgren album by today's JazzWax and I like it. It's a style of contemporary jazz piano with voicings and harmonies that remind me of Emmet Cohen's playing (heard largely on YouTube, not discs). I guess the combination of extensive classical background and unquestionable jazz sense of both may have something to do with this.

2 minutes ago, soulpope said:

A pity not all tracks from "Vibration Society" are featured .... great music though ....

Yes, it would've been nice to have both LPs paired together on one CD. 

Incidentally, three more cuts from the Vibration Society LP are included as bonus tracks on the CD version of Hilton Ruiz's Crosscurrents (Stash, 1989).

18 hours ago, John Tapscott said:

This one got some notice today from Marc Myers. I just downloaded it on itunes. Will listen.

Listening now (this one is for you, Bill).   

JOE MAGNARELLI & GARY SMULYAN with THE TILDEN WEBB TRIO - Live @ Cory Weeds' Cellar Jazz Club

Thanks again, John. Now listening. 

Nice to see the exchange works both ways. Here's Cory a few weeks ago at Smalls, prime territory for Mags.

Willard White "The Paul Robeson Legacy" Linn Records SACD

MI0000365912.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Bass – Geoff Gascoyne
Drums – Mark Doffman
Guitar – Richard Bolton
Piano, Keyboards, Percussion – Neal Thornton
Trumpet – Guy Barker
Voice – Willard White

Recorded at Angel Studios (Islington, London) and 4749 Studios (Chiswick, London) July 2001.