So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

JSngry

12 hours ago, HutchFan said:

R-7467812-1474014396-2215.jpeg.jpg

Cecil Brooks III - The Collective (Muse, 1989)

This is a reminder that The Last Days Of Muse saw it trying to create a kind of a Blue Note style "repertory players" for the M-Base group.

Today we remember all the other types of records from those Last Days Of Muse, but there's a rather large number of this type by these players. Not a lot of "electricity" in the instrumentation, but still, a relatively lot of people made a relatively lot of records that were not organ/hardbop/HoustonEtta.

• Replies 78.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, JSngry said:

This is a reminder that The Last Days Of Muse saw it trying to create a kind of a Blue Note style "repertory players" for the M-Base group.

Today we remember all the other types of records from those Last Days Of Muse, but there's a rather large number of this type by these players. Not a lot of "electricity" in the instrumentation, but still, a relatively lot of people made a relatively lot of records that were not organ/hardbop/HoustonEtta.

Yep.  There are some excellent late-in-the-game Muses out there that are flying beneath the radar. 

Or at least they were flying below my radar.  I've discovered several over the past year or so -- including The Collective -- as part of my 80s Jazz blog project explorations.

Dwight James - Inner Heat (Cadence, 1983) 

R-3459286-1483692927-2845.jpeg.jpg

Great record, with Byard Lancaster and Khan Jamal. 

6 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

Archie Sheep "Kwanza" Impulse Japan SHM-CD UCCI-9378

kwanza.jpg

I haven't met an Archie Sheep Impulse recording I didn't like.

I have a big thing for this record. It is quite silly in its own way, and puts a huge smile on my face. It is one of a few albums I play that is guaranteed to cheer me up.

34 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

Yep.  There are some excellent late-in-the-game Muses out there that are flying beneath the radar. 

Or at least they were flying below my radar.  I've discovered several over the past year or so -- including The Collective -- as part of my 80s Jazz blog project explorations.

Yeah, and between Cindy Blackmon & Wallace Roney, there's a decent enough amount to collate as an "output"...the Blackmons in particular shine a bit of light...not really a blinding flash, but a little light. The Roneys are essentially derivate of what everybody involved thought Wynton's bag was, but Antoine Roney's Wayne is a bit fresher than was Branford's.

And so forth, there are some records there to be listened to, if only to gain a broader perspective.

33 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Yeah, and between Cindy Blackmon & Wallace Roney, there's a decent enough amount to collate as an "output"...the Blackmons in particular shine a bit of light...not really a blinding flash, but a little light. The Roneys are essentially derivate of what everybody involved thought Wynton's bag was, but Antoine Roney's Wayne is a bit fresher than was Branford's.

And so forth, there are some records there to be listened to, if only to gain a broader perspective.

I feel the same as you about Blackmon & Roney.  Their Muse stuff has never knocked me out.  

On the other hand, Jack Walrath's Muse records are treeeee-mendous.  And, of course, who could forget Bill Barron's!?!?  ;) 

There are others... but I don't want to show more of my hand.  Saving it for the blog! 

14 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

I feel the same as you about Blackmon & Roney.  Their Muse stuff has never knocked me out.  

I have a little soft spot in my head, er...heart for Blackmon's records. The unabashedly 60s Tony immersion is something I have to listen to once I get started on it. Tony himself had moved on, so it was a nice parallel nostalgia-reality. But as far as gripping you by the musicwows and not letting go, no.

The most REALLY M-Base Muse records were made by Lonnie Plaxico, of all people!