• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Listening through this set, which I have let sit and get dusty too long.

I blow hot and cold on OP, and even within recordings I like some aspects of the performance and dislike others, but over the years I have come to really admire his astonishing skill and his sense of drive and swing, related to rock solid “timing.” These live recordings are very interesting–it really surprises me how much of the piano sound itself is reproduced with his intricate pedal usage and his unique keyboard touch. And Thigpen is right with OP in ways that as a drummer I know takes experience and big ears, and Ray Brown is the relaxed and flexible weather vane that shows which way the musical winds are blowing. I wish he were just a tad louder in the mix.

These would have been great sets to have a seat for.

Oscar Peterson “The London House Sessions”

13443_lg.jpg

MI0002173499.jpg?partner=allrovi.com 

My wife slept late and I was able to listen at almost just the right volume to Angela Hewlitt playing Beethoven sonatas while reading the excellent liner notes to the new Hasaan Ibn Ali solo piano 2 cd set. A really nice hour.

Then I snuck in half of this great Sunday morning listening before I had to rejoin the family:

Barney Wilen, "French Ballads" 2021 cd.

[IMG]