Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Nice thing, got it from my wife last Chrismas, fine how she knows which artists I might like and what I maybe don´t have.

This is from the early 60´s, really a period I don´t have much Dizzy. 
I must admit that Dizzy first of all was one of my first inspirations for bop and bop influenced latin, I love all his compositions and above all his trumpet. 

Maybe I was sloppier in collecting stuff of Diz from the mid fifties on. He was heavy under Norman Granz and most of the albums are reunions with other musicians from other styles and sometimes I don´t hear the kind of drummers that I like to hear together with Diz. 

But this one is very interesting. Fine playing by all musicians, Leo Wright lived in my hometown during his last years, he was married to a very fine Viennese female singer. 

Very interesting the piano of Lalo Schifrin. 
He has a very very developed technique and really plays. But he is most beautiful when playing the lines and stuff, but maybe it´s my fault, if he goes playing block chords it is a bit too much, a bit too powerful. I like Block Chords more in a the way Garland would do it. In the way Schifrin plays it it sounds a bit like an angry woodpecker.....

Herunterladen.jpg

Radio Stuttgart (the former Süddeutscher Rundfunk - SDR) had a very active jazz editor Dieter Zimmerle.

Stuttgart was also a main city for travelling US stars and their archive is very rich with concerts  from the 1950s to the 197os now under the administration of the  SWR ( after the merge of SWF and SDR). This CD is probably one of those "diamonds" from the early SDR archives.