Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Really nice set of Monk. 
All players are great. Larry Gales even plays some very fine bowed bass solo on Well You Needn´t that reminds me of Chamber´s solo on the same tune on "Steamin´". Ben Riley is fantastic. I saw him only once, with the Ron Carter Quartet in 1979. 
The only thing that´s a bit disturbing here is that the bass is too loud. I don´t know what kind of attachments were used in the late 60´s , but the bass is too loud. 

Herunterladen.jpg

13 minutes ago, JSngry said:

What's the deal on that one? Totally unfamiliar here...

Charlie plays an electric organ -- not a Hammond B3 -- on this disc.  That's the rationale for the "Electro" in the title.  It sounds sorta similar to CP's organ work on Cal Tjader's Primo and on his brother's Vamonos Pa'l Monte.  Some might find the organ sound cheesy -- but I think it sounds great, if a bit unconventional.  The band includes a bunch of heavies: Cachao, Cortijo, Tito Puente, Andy Gonzalez, a.o.  But it's Charlie's show.

A while ago, I read somewhere on the internet that ElectroDuro was recorded in 1968 for Cesta, but the label went out of business before it could be released -- but I haven't been able to confirm that.  What is certain is that Coco released it in 1974.

If you want to give it a listen: https://music.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_kFNMsgTKlevfAlS_cdEsR_FwpQJcR_cd8

And then Coco went out of business!

I very much like those different electric organ sounds (even the BE is electric!). They show up all over the place in various "ethnic" musics and I very much like the vibrational space the create, maybe because the lack of naturally generated overtones endemic to their method of tone production? Just a guess..

That's a killer band. Did you get this one off of eBay or where...interest level exists, for sure!

5 minutes ago, JSngry said:

That's a killer band. Did you get this one off of eBay or where...interest level exists, for sure!

I ordered it last week off https://www.importcds.com/   They were having a sale. ... But it looks like I may have gotten their last one. 

That said, it was reissued in Japan not too long ago, so there are likely both new & used copies "out there."