• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

CD 2. The SFJazz Collective "Original Compositions/Play the Music of Ornette Coleman, Steve Wonder & Thelonious Monk"

shop_2017_collective_cd.jpg

Recorded over four nights at the SFJAZZ Center from October 26-29, 2017, this collection consists of one CD of new pieces composed by each member of the current SFJAZZ Collective with a second CD of fresh versions of selections from the Collective’s vast trove of tunes including Ornette Coleman, Thelonious Monk and Stevie Wonder arranged over the years by former SFJAZZ Collective members, saxophonist Joshua Redman, trumpeter Dave Douglas, arranger Gil Goldstein, and trumpeter Avishai Cohen, for the current SFJAZZ Collective members.

BONUS DVD:
The physical release includes a bonus DVD that includes live footage of the SFJAZZ Collective’s October 2016 performances of the Music of Miles Davis at the SFJAZZ Center including Edward Simon’s arrangement of “All Blues,” Warren Wolf’s arrangement of “Joshua,” Matt Penman’s arrangement of “Milestones,” and David Sánchez’s arrangement of “Teo.”

49 minutes ago, Peter Friedman said:

71PD9lu0wGL._AC_UY218_.jpg

One of Cannonball's finest, I think.  Wynton Kelly !!!

NP:

51kFm6H6kGL.jpg

McCoy Tyner - La Leyenda de la Hora (Columbia/Koch, 1981)
with Paquito D'Rivera, Ignacio Berroa, Daniel Ponce, Bobby Hutcherson, Chico Freeman, Marcus Belgrave, and others 

McCoy in a Latin-Jazz bag, which -- to be honest -- doesn't sound all that different than his "regular" music.  McCoy is McCoy, regardless of the setting, no? 

In any case... me gusta mucho.

Edited by HutchFan

2 hours ago, Simon8 said:

cannonball-adderley-portrait-of-cannonba

:tup

2 hours ago, jazzbo said:

R-2305071-1303079158.jpeg.jpg

Gerry Mulligan and his Sextet "Mainstream" Japan Universal cd UCCU-8221 released last week, uses 2002 master.

This Sextet is a killer working ensemble, great on the released live and studio recordings.

:tup :tup

2 hours ago, Peter Friedman said:

71PD9lu0wGL._AC_UY218_.jpg

:tup

Now playing:

ab67616d0000b27377659e8ea2597eb36fe8db30

Edited by BillF

Just arrived via DHL: Warner Japan has reissued the four disc Aretha Franklin "Don't Fight the Feeling: Aretha Franklin and King Curtis Live at the Fillmore West" that was a limited edition Rhino "Hand Made" set years ago. I always wanted this and missed it til now. (In 2005 Japan released an SHM-CD version, this one appears to be just cd).

5167SuwwBQL._SS500.jpg

1 hour ago, EKE BBB said:

R-2294089-1295815285.jpeg.jpg

Is this a Steeplechase album ? 

I have one that´s only titled "Tete" with Nils Hennig and ......oh boy one of my favourite drummers of all times.....AL FOSTER. 
That´s a fantastic thing, what they do out of the old bop tune HotHouse, and Theme for Ernie, a wonderful ballad....., that´s the kind of trio albums I like, you hear the drums, it´s not just piano solo and two guys who have only a suporting role......