• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Is this a Steeplechase album ? 

I have one that´s only titled "Tete" with Nils Hennig and ......oh boy one of my favourite drummers of all times.....AL FOSTER. 
That´s a fantastic thing, what they do out of the old bop tune HotHouse, and Theme for Ernie, a wonderful ballad....., that´s the kind of trio albums I like, you hear the drums, it´s not just piano solo and two guys who have only a suporting role......

Yes, it is a SteepleChase album, recorded on February, 1976. With NHOP and Tootie Heath. It includes a wonderful 20' suite ('Catalan Suite'), which is in fact a medley of four Catalonian traditional folksongs.

Higher quality pic of the orginal LP:

R-4397396-1363799020-2384.jpeg.jpg

6 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

Is the 1980s survey going to cover salsa?

Rather than Salsa, I would say that there are some "Latin Jazz" titles in my survey. 

Palmieri is one of those guys who lives in both of those worlds. Often he'll make a record that's more oriented towards dancers (Salsa) and then follow with one that's more of a listening record (Latin Jazz). Of course, the line between the two is often very blurry with plenty of overlap. ... But I think there is a distinction.  Palmieri has discussed this in interviews, how his dancing audience gets upset when he releases music that's "excessively jazzy."  And likewise his jazz fans are less likely to enjoy his records pitched at a Salsa audience. 

3 hours ago, jazzbo said:

"Blue Note Live At The Roxy Vol.1" Universal Japan cd.

R-9806027-1586742628-8309.jpeg.jpg

Performances by Alphonso Mouzon, Ronnie Laws and Donald Byrd.

Weirdly I was having a cheeky stream of some of this on Tuesday, after having come across a reference on a blog. Some of it is okay. Some not so much. It's not as bad as its reputation.

Who did the "Blue Note / New Note" introduction?

Edited by Rabshakeh