Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, HutchFan said:

I think the fact that J. Redman's albums were so heavily promoted had as much to do with non-musical factors as musical ones.  Not hard to "package" an attractive, articulate young man.  OTOH, his middle-of-the-road-ness -- music-wise -- might have been a positive from the Marketing Department perspective at Warner Brothers.  Just like his appearance, it was non-threatening. ... In other words, it comes down to "major label" nonsense.

All that said, I enjoy some of Redman's music.  I just think his level of promotion (especially in his early years) had much more to do with marketing machinations than music.

For sure. I'm just surprised there wasn't anything better that they found.

David Bowie "Toy" from the latest (fifth) box set, "Brilliant Adventure." This is the first official release of the album.

0190296773372.jpg?fit=416%2C416&ssl=1

This is a fascinating album. . . Bowie in 2000 re-arranging and re-recording songs from '64 to '71. The label decided not to release it at the time.  Pretty darned awesome sound on this edition, as is the case for these box sets.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toy_(David_Bowie_album)

Just released is a three cd set including more material. . . I may get this in time.

2 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

Disc 3 of Miles Davis "Bootleg Series Vol. 1" Sony Blu-Spec CD edition.

R-7963568-1452525509-7251.jpeg.jpg

I was so excited when this first volume was released--a promising start to a great series of reissues.

It has been...but I wonder when/if they are going to get some of those great 72-75 "electric jungle" shows out. We know they're out there...

R-5379039-1634724050-8066.jpeg.jpg

R-5742771-1582092365-7696.jpeg.jpg

A couple of Don Grolnick records today. Not a player I'm at all familiar with, but a track from Nighttown showed up on this month's Blue Note playlist and I was intrigued. Enjoyable records for sure, with some iffy choruses by the horn section on Nighttime. Dig Ehrlich's bass clarinet when it's spotted.

I was way outside of the jazz scope in the early to mid 90s, so I'm guessing this was well within the mainstream of the time; and they honestly don't strike me as being much different than what Brian Lynch is doing currently. Very much in the pocket, thematic, with some cool solos. 

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

It has been...but I wonder when/if they are going to get some of those great 72-75 "electric jungle" shows out. We know they're out there...

We'll be lucky if anything comes out. . . here's hoping there will be more. I'm eager for any "period" of Miles to be honest.