So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

JSngry

1 hour ago, Gheorghe said:

A very nice Archie Shepp album. I heard him quite often, is he still living ? 

He is. New album out with Jason Moran. I saw them perform as a duo, with a French singer, in December.

Shepp is quite frail at this stage, and needed to be helped on stage by Moran, but he played well. It was in the awkward environment of London's Barbican, which is quite 'institutional', but it was nice to see him play.

• Replies 79.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

56 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

He is. New album out with Jason Moran. I saw them perform as a duo, with a French singer, in December.

Shepp is quite frail at this stage, and needed to be helped on stage by Moran, but he played well. It was in the awkward environment of London's Barbican, which is quite 'institutional', but it was nice to see him play.

Sure it must have been nice to seem him play. The last time I saw him (great evening, even my wife was with me and liked it), must have been around the early 2000´s. He played fine with a trio, did some tracks on piano also (very very Monkish, it almost could have been Monk himself). 
But he seems to have a hard time walking, something with his legs, but I am not sure. 

21 hours ago, JSngry said:

713WhgY7FaL._SL1200_.jpg

61muh6nnCBL.jpg

Probably a "supplemental" Ra record, but it's a good one, intimate and thoughtful.

Plus,any additional unmask the batman is always welcome here!

This one is hard to leave....anybody else gotten into it? It's a small scale affair, but really hits a zone for me.

5 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

A very nice Archie Shepp album. I heard him quite often, is he still living ? 

The pianist Ken Werner is very very good. I heard him with Shepp already in 1980 , it was a quartet Ken Werner, Santi Debriano, John Betsch, very fine......

Herunterladen (1).jpg

3 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

Yeah, I recommend the new album with Moran. It's really good IMO.