Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, sidewinder said:

I’m assuming that’s on Spotify and not the one you sold me way back when Bill :D

Full marks for deduction! 

I have met and had long, agreeable chats with two of this band - drummer Matt in Southport and Osian at a gig at my friend Malcolm Frazer's house.

Here's Malcolm's clip of Osian and local tenorman Liam Byrne:

26 minutes ago, BillF said:

I have met and had long, agreeable chats with two of this band - drummer Matt in Southport and Osian at a gig at my friend Malcolm Frazer's house.

Nice !

I saw the Fishwicks at Swanage some years ago. With a bit of luck they will be back, once ‘normality’ returns.

11 hours ago, BillF said:

That´s wonderful ! I like it so much. They sound wonderful, two tenors somehow in the Mobley tradition, and a very good piano player. Very fine bass work, only a drummer is missing. But once again, those are great musicians

6 minutes ago, Gheorghe said:

That´s wonderful ! I like it so much. They sound wonderful, two tenors somehow in the Mobley tradition, and a very good piano player. Very fine bass work, only a drummer is missing. But once again, those are great musicians

Agreed! Here's some more.

Sadly, the pandemic seems to have put an end to these sessions. Malcolm used to squeeze up to 40 people into his living room, so I can't see this resuming in present conditions.:(

7 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Glad you liked it, Gheorghe. Re the Mobley tradition, yes I agree. The forefathers of both these guys - and Mobley too - are clearly Pres and Bird and, judging by his sound on albums, Rollins is also clearly important for Osian.  Liam names Al Cohn as his favourite tenorman and when New York-based Rossano Sportiello first heard Liam he said it was unusual and very pleasing for someone of Liam's age to adopt this style. Here's a clip of that meeting. Liam says they'd never played a note together before this. A great first meeting, I'm sure you'll agree: