Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Rabshakeh said:

This is my favourite Wilen record, but it's the only one of his major records not to have really great cover art.

The new reissue certainly has different cover art. I may prefer it. . .but then I like any cover with Marie Moor on board.

1200x1200bf-60.jpg

71-YS+AUrJL._SS600_.jpg

Bobby Hutcherson featuring Harold Land - Now! (Blue Note, 1970)
Along with Land, vocalist Eugene McDaniels should have been given a "featured" billing.

When I made my Hutch site (15 years ago), I rated this album 4 stars.  Today, I wouldn't give it anything less than 5. ... It's strange and brilliant music that's "beyond category."

Edited by HutchFan

27 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

that's a pretty heavy line up

It’s good. Streamable on bandcamp.

It isn’t a scream fest. It’s distant enough from WSQ and Rova to be worth hearing. The right amount of Vandermark discipline. Some swing-influenced saxophone playing on a lot of the tunes. 

Charles Bell and the Contemporary Jazz Quartet "Another Dimension" Atlantic/Warner Japan cd (stereo)

A mono copy of this record was one of the first LPs I ever owned, and one of three jazz records from Atlantic that were in boxes of LPs given to Peace Corps volunteers in Swaziland (now Eswatini) in 1968 as a nice present. One of the volunteers that received these didn't like jazz and gave me three jazz LPs, this among them. (I think he wanted to be nice to me, but then again my Dad was his boss, the Director of the first Peace Corps program in Swaziland, he may have been sucking up, or both).

MI0003692922.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

These albums (the other two were Leo Wright "Blues Shout" and Slide Hampton "Sister Salvation") seditiously over time turned me into the obsessive jazz listener that I am.

I love this music. I still have the LP, in playable shape. Eventually Japan released this on cd, and in nice stereo in great sound.

Edited by jazzbo