• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

81xe9TJ7vjS._AC_SX679_.jpg

Bill Evans Trio "On a Friday Evening" cd

Great sound. I think the Plangent Process should be used more often. A lot more often. Hopefully it will in the future. If I had a billion dollars I would dedicate a lot to somehow developing a home version for playback.

cGVn.jpeg

a4460e47-b8a9-418b-b537-211f3e685492.eff

A couple of new piano-led albums here. Pablo Held's is pretty interesting. In a way it's a comp of live shows at the Loft where Held plays with guests that demonstrate a wide variety of influences and styles. He's got a RTF-esque track in "Thorn of A White Rose" mixed in with solo piano and more avant pieces. Good album but it's got a lot of songs and I haven't made my whole way through it yet. 

Rosenwinkel's new one is solo piano and it's a nice listen. Solo piano works are never my first inclination to hear but this one's nice enough. Anyone else give this a listen yet? I'm hearing some Guaraldi influence but maybe that's my own ears searching for connections....

NP:

711l8hZskhL._SL600_.jpg

Gil Goldstein - City of Dreams (Blue Note, 1990)

1 hour ago, sidewinder said:

Can’t go wrong with that set. Time to dig out - a good Friday spin.

:tup  And still vastly underrated, I think.

1 hour ago, Rabshakeh said:

Houston Person - Blue Odyssey (Prestige, 1968)

The cover art to this one really gets to me. There's something about Prestige's artwork of this era that manages to be raw but eye popping. You'd never confuse it with a Blue Note release.

Excellent description. So true.

4 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

must be good, okay I don´t know who Gil Goldstein and Pete Levin are, but Wayne, Stanley and Lenny is a dream team....

Goldstein and Levin are both keyboardists.  They add some texture to the music, but mostly stay in the background.

Along with Lenny White (who produced the record), Goldstein also arranged the music.

Edited by HutchFan

55 minutes ago, Dub Modal said:

cGVn.jpeg

a4460e47-b8a9-418b-b537-211f3e685492.eff

Rosenwinkel's new one is solo piano and it's a nice listen. Solo piano works are never my first inclination to hear but this one's nice enough. Anyone else give this a listen yet? I'm hearing some Guaraldi influence but maybe that's my own ears searching for connections....

I haven't been keeping up, although I do like those 90s records. Is it all acoustic?