Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

image.jpg

My "Jazz of Two Cities" comes from the Marsh/Tristano "Intuition" twofer (Capitol), so I just recently discovered online the 4 tracks recorded a few days later by the same quintet ("Ben Blew", "Time's Up", "Earful" and "Black Jack").  On CD, is there any other way (than this Fresh Sound edition) to get these 4 tracks? 

Just now, Rabshakeh said:

Great cover. I haven't heard it. Is it good?

It's only my first listen, but I'm enjoying it.  This album isn't quite on the same level as Don't Look Back (Strata-East, 1974).  Then again, not much is.  ;) 

For me, it's hitting a sweet spot where jazz, soul, and funk all overlap.  Plus, I love Vick's sound ... so I'll likely order it. 

1 hour ago, Simon8 said:

image.jpg

My "Jazz of Two Cities" comes from the Marsh/Tristano "Intuition" twofer (Capitol), so I just recently discovered online the 4 tracks recorded a few days later by the same quintet ("Ben Blew", "Time's Up", "Earful" and "Black Jack").  On CD, is there any other way (than this Fresh Sound edition) to get these 4 tracks? 

Three of them are on

91dqvuKJaXL._SX522_.jpg

ZWc.jpeg

thinking about what I wrote in the Baker thread, Baker's working bands and late albums, Köln concerts and me not being around... this album was recorded at a concert in Köln in 1981, four weeks after I had been born there... and in fact, we were living less than 3 kilometers from where the concert took place - so in a way, I kind of was around... the rhythm section is badly recorded and barely audible unless the horns lay out... what makes the album kind of work is that it combines three horn players with a really beautiful sound, Baker, Jon Eardley as second trumpeter (can't tell them apart) and Bob Mover on alto