So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

JSngry

9 minutes ago, BillF said:

I think we thought the production a trifle slick after Riverside, but I'm sure our views have mellowed with time. I loved Dunlop's bouncy beat, but I knew what to expect as I'd seen him in the Monk quartet in 1961.

Understood .... Riverside production was partially rather raw - with all the benefts derived from that approach .... off course "Monk`s Dream" has Ore + Dunlop grooving along nicely and I believe this is one of the strongest Charlie Rouse outings in the 60`s....

• Replies 79.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, HutchFan said:

cGVn.jpeg

cGVn.jpeg

That brings back great memories. Stood right next to Lewis as he was doing a solo rendition of some of that ‘Paris’ material at what was the Cafe des Copains, Toronto. That was 1990 too. Lack of seating sometime has its plusses. Lewis was thoroughly enjoying playing his recital - a memorable night. Yes, almost a private concert.

Edited by sidewinder

3 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

That brings back great memories. Stood right next to Lewis as he was doing a solo rendition of some of that ‘Paris’ material at what was the Cafe des Copains, Toronto. That was 1990 too. Lack of seating sometime has its plusses. Lewis was thoroughly enjoying playing his recital - a memorable night. Yes, almost a private concert.

Oh wow. I wish I could have been there to see & hear that too.  ;) 

Lewis knocks me out.  He plays so deliberately, and he makes it sound so expressive.  Every note -- and even every note's shading -- is a choice.  But he also does it without making the music sound over-thought or "studied."  I think that's amazing artistry.

11 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

Oh wow. I wish I could have been there to see & hear that too.  ;) 

Lewis knocks me out.  He plays so deliberately, and he makes it sound so expressive.  Every note -- and even every note's shading -- is a choice.  But he also does it without making the music sound over-thought or "studied."  I think that's amazing artistry.

Yeah, it was a gem of a night. Such a civilised event; Lewis was literally inches away from me and I could have leant on the piano. I think he really enjoyed playing to those of us (not many) in proximity. I think it was Summer 1990, so slightly before that NY recording.

At the same venue I remember seeing Jay McShann, Sir Charles Thompson, Joanne Brackeen, Cedar Walton. Just missed Stanley Cowell in solo recital though. :(

Edited by sidewinder