• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

More LPs to finish up my listening day:

Jimmy Knepper "Idol of the Flies" Bethlehem reissue LP
MTk1NC5qcGVn.jpeg
'82 reissue of
ZWc.jpeg
Followed by, another trombonist, another of my favorites, Jack Teagarden "Live at the Roundtable" Roulette mono LP

ZWc.jpeg

Finally, one of my favorite Santana LPs, "Borboletta" Columbia Stereo LP
ZWc.jpeg

15 hours ago, jazzbo said:

return-to-forever-hymn-of-the-seventh-ga

Return to Forever, featuring Chick Corea, "Hymn of the Seventh Galaxy" Universal Japan SHM-CD

Oh boy. This is bringing back many memories. Where has Frank Bivins been since our Pierce Tower days?

Those were the days. Though I might say at that time though I sure listened to RTF it was more because another class-colleage who was a RTF-fanatic brought them albums in. For contemporanous jazz I was more into Miles with Dave Liebman,  Al Foster and Mtume, or Herbie´s Headhunters....

But for Chrismas my wife surprised me with a new RTF (Mothership returns feat. Jean Luc Ponty) and it´s fantastic, so I dug back in those good old days when there was so much good live music and kids comin together to listen to records at home or in clubs....

Spent my morning on two very good recentish records that i hadn't expected to enjoy:

Irreversible Entanglements - Open The Gates (International Anthem)a3760979007_16.jpg

I thought their first two records were a bit style over substance, but this one hits me much harder overall - slightly more improvisation and group playing and less Moor Mother who is at the same time more effective to my ears here than on their earlier records. I feel like this is the record that fulfils the pitch.

Shipp, Dickey and Parker - Village Mothership (TAO)

a3421913694_16.jpg

I'd sworn off Parker and Shipp recently because I was getting over saturated. But this one really is very good; I think my favourite of theirs in a long while. Parker isn't just playing William Parker, and is much more into the spirit of free improvisation, which opens Shipp right up.

Edited by Rabshakeh

1 hour ago, Rabshakeh said:

Spent my morning on two very good recentish records that i hadn't expected to enjoy:

Irreversible Entanglements - Open The Gates (International Anthem)a3760979007_16.jpg

I thought their first two records were a bit style over substance, but this one hits me much harder overall - slightly more improvisation and group playing and less Moor Mother who is at the same time more effective to my ears here than on their earlier records. I feel like this is the record that fulfils the pitch.

a3421913694_16.jpg

I'd sworn off Parker and Shipp recently because I was getting over saturated. But this one really is very good; I think my favourite of theirs in a long while. Parker isn't just playing William Parker, and is much more into the spirit of free improvisation, which opens Shipp right up.

Interesting to read your impressions of the IE album. I'm a big fan of the first two and haven't really connected with the new one nearly as much. For me it lacks the laser focus of the earlier ones and meanders a bit. I appreciate it but don't love it like the others.

I have also reached Shipp and Parker saturation so intrigued to hear this one is worth visiting, thanks

1 hour ago, Rabshakeh said:

a3421913694_16.jpg

Two albums I've been enjoying as well. 

4 hours ago, BillF said:

:tup Haven't heard it for decades, but I recall it was good!

If I remember correctly, this Hackett Capitol album (together with Jazz Ultimate) are actually in the Jack Teagarden Mosaic, and not in Hackett's own Mosaic. I will check it tonight, since I have both of them.

bmc.jpeg

bmc.jpeg

What you see is what you get. Clint Houston provides some nice compositions and Loui' brother Gerald play good alto. Stubblefield & Tolliver are who they are.

In 1999, this wasn't exactly "fresh" but it was far from tired either. It's a good record with no small amount of spunk.

Tania Maria "Come with Me" Concord SACD

1540494491_434tgg-min.jpg

I haven't heard this one in some time. I tend to play later Tania Maria but I'm really enjoying re-visiting this one.

I love this woman. She has so much talent and personality and energy and she communicates it all so well. I have to thank one little video appearance with her nephew Ed Motta for inspiring me to seek her work out and for many many hours of audio enjoyment.

Stan Getz & Kenny Barron - People Time (Verve). Disc 1. Such a beautiful recording. I've read where people say that they can "hear" that Getz is ill but I am not one of them. I suppose comparatively, one could say that he doesn't sound like the Stan of old, but to my ears,he still sounds pretty damn good.

ZWc.jpeg

BTW - When I first saw this cover, I tried to figure out why TTYA was bolded and never could. Anyone know if there was a reason or was it simply an artistic move by the cover designer?

1 minute ago, bresna said:

Stan Getz & Kenny Barron - People Time (Verve). Disc 1. Such a beautiful recording. I've read where people say that they can "hear" that Getz is ill but I am not one of them. I suppose comparatively, one could say that he doesn't sound like the Stan of old, but to my ears,he still sounds pretty damn good.

ZWc.jpeg

Yes, I traded this away and have the box set. . . . I agree that he sounds wonderful here, and so does Kenny. Performances that always unfold and reveal a new bit of truth and beauty.

1 minute ago, jazzbo said:

Yes, I traded this away and have the box set. . . . I agree that he sounds wonderful here, and so does Kenny. Performances that always unfold and reveal a new bit of truth and beauty.

Is that big box set really worth it? Are there tracks on there that just have to be heard? I have a lot Getz and I always figured the 2 CD version was enough. truth be told, as good as this is, I tend to play "Serenity" and "Anniversary" more often than this set.