So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

JSngry

You are probably good where you are. I like to listen to all of this set. . . I generally play a different disc each time I pull it down and have not gotten tired of any of them. I'm more inclusive and expansive as far as collecting goes than you, and I've been retired for almost fourteen years now and have had lots of time to play discs. I think for your collection you're fine with the 2 cd set.

NP: Cannonball Adderley and Nat Adderley "The David Axelrod Years" Stateside 2 cd set, disc 1

MI0001756136.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

MI0002179085.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Nice compilation!

Track#1.1 & 2.9 are from the 1970 LP "Experience In E". 
Track#1.2, 1.6, 2.2 & 2.5 are from the 1972 LP "Soul Of The Bible". 
Track#1.3 was released as a Capitol 45. 
Track#1.4, 1.7 & 2.6 are from the 1968 LP "Accent On Africa". 
Track#1.5, 2.1 & 2.7 are from the 1972 LP "Soul Zodiac". 
Track#1.8 is from the 1970 LP "The Price You Got To Pay To Be Free". 
Track#1.9 & 2.4 are from the 1967 LP "74 Miles Away/Walk Tall". 
Track#1.10 is from the 1972 LP "Music You All". 
Track#2.3 is from the 1967 LP "Why Am I Treated So Bad!". 
Track#2.8 is from the 1971 LP "The Black Messiah"

Edited by jazzbo

• Replies 79.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, mjazzg said:

Interesting to read your impressions of the IE album. I'm a big fan of the first two and haven't really connected with the new one nearly as much. For me it lacks the laser focus of the earlier ones and meanders a bit. I appreciate it but don't love it like the others.

Sounds like we liked / disliked them for the same reasons. 

I liked the more diffuse approach, which opened things up a bit, at least to my ears, for the instrumentalists, particularly Stewart on bass. I find Moor Mother's schtick a little irritating, but liked it a lot in the smaller portions served by this record.

16 hours ago, John Tapscott said:

:tup

Now: 

This is an excellent entry in the Maybeck series. I've always liked this one a lot.  

cGVn.jpeg

:tup

Yes this series is really great

Here are my Items from that series:

Broadbent,Alan    Live at Maybeck Recital Hall, Vol. 14

McKenna,Dave    live at Maybeck Recital Hall,Vol II

Kellaway,Roger    Live at Maybeck Recital Hall Vol 11

8 hours ago, EKE BBB said:

ZWc.jpeg

:D:tup

A fine LP

16 minutes ago, jazzcorner said:

Yes this series is really great

Here are my Items from that series:

Broadbent,Alan    Live at Maybeck Recital Hall, Vol. 14

McKenna,Dave    live at Maybeck Recital Hall,Vol II

Kellaway,Roger    Live at Maybeck Recital Hall Vol 11

I've got the Dave McKenna, the Jaki Byard, the Marian McPartland, the Cedar Walton and the Toshiko Akiyoshi. Also the Ken Peplowski and Howard Alden at Maybeck from the Concord duo series.

cGVn.jpeg

cGVn.jpeg

Not for everybody's taste (and only sometimes mine), but Barbarito Diez is rightly considered a legend, and the arrangements (a precursor to charanga, just that these are danzons) have more detail to them than a casual listen might at first suggest.

Bottom line - Panart. Ain't no bullshit there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbarito_D%C3%ADez

barbarito_diez.jpg

15 hours ago, EKE BBB said:

I've got the Dave McKenna, the Jaki Byard, the Marian McPartland, the Cedar Walton and the Toshiko Akiyoshi. Also the Ken Peplowski and Howard Alden at Maybeck from the Concord duo series.

Good for you & good taste!

:D:tup

;-]] W.B.

14 hours ago, John Tapscott said:

ZWc.jpeg

Wow! Missed that Item. Carl & Frank always a good duo.

Have a SeaBreeze vinyl with the same title.

Here is another one I like:

43048667sb.jpg

Edited by jazzcorner
text correction

It´s strange that Vol. 3 , decades ago was really hard to find. Eventually I got the LP as Japan Import , and later the CD with Mini-LP Sleeve also Japan Import. 

I mostly bought it for Side B with Curtis Fuller, that´s the really fantastic part of the album. 

I always said that the best Powell is on occasions when he played with horn players, like with Navarro and Rollins on Vol. 1, with Sonny Stitt on the Prestige album, with Bird and Fats at Birdland, with Bird and Diz at Massey, with Donald Byrd and Phil Woods at Birdland, with Hawk in Germany, with Dexter or Don Byas in Paris.....

The first side is not so interesting or it would have been fantastic if it also had Curtis Fuller. 
The slow blues "Some Soul"...... Slow Blues was not Bud´s strongest point, he is much better on "Dry Soul" on Vol. 4. 
"Blue Pearl" sounds like a Duke Jordan Composition. This should be played with horns, as a typical hard bop tune. 
"Frantic Fancies" is based on "Strike Up The Band", but it is no theme, only improvisation from the start on. How great would it have been with Curtis Fuller playing the theme and a solo and then Bud....because his solo is really fine. 

The weakest point is when the great Chambers would start a solo and Bud always get´s into it. That´s not the way you support a bassist. You even can hear when Paul gets unsure to continue his solo or just walk on. I don´t know why Bud did that to Paul. 

I think it would have been a fantastic album, if 1) they would have recorded the whole album with Fuller with the exception of the Bach Piece as a solo, and if Bud would lay out or just gently support Paul Chambers when he is soloing. 

P.S.: About the cover: Bud and a Bari player. Who might it have been and too pity there is no recording of it. That would have been another great thing, maybe with Cecil Payne, or Pepper Adams. By the way, around the same time Curtis Fuller did "Bone and Bari" ......and.....I got it signed from Mr. Curtis Fuller, with a dedication.......!!!!!!

Herunterladen (4).jpg

Edited by Gheorghe