• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I love stuff like this just on principal. But this one has more than just principle going for it, imo. Good thoughts, good delivery. Definitely, as advertised, a good addition to the Last Poets/Gil Scott Heron continuum. I look for this stuff whereever I can find it, spoken word of what I guess today would be considered "Afro-centric", but back then would have been rightly viewed as "people's poetry".

Also, the fact that the guy's a barber and has stayed a barber, in his own shop, that lack of "star ambition" speaks very well to me.

3 minutes ago, JSngry said:

I love stuff like this just on principal. But this one has more than just principle going for it, imo. Good thoughts, good delivery. Definitely, as advertised, a good addition to the Last Poets/Gil Scott Heron continuum. I look for this stuff whereever I can find it, spoken word of what I guess today would be considered "Afro-centric", but back then would have been rightly viewed as "people's poetry".

Also, the fact that the guy's a barber and has stayed a barber, in his own shop, that lack of "star ambition" speaks very well to me.

I bought it unheard because of the Gil Scott-Heron continuum. I really like it and had no idea about the barber angle which makes me like it more.  I was listening to the Jayne Cortez with Richard Davis, I'm assuming that's in the same continuum for you.  Also, we both like Ursula Rucker I believe, continuum's continue