Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

7 hours ago, Niko said:

that's a change in direction, from Compost to Wild Bill... played those two Compost albums recently and thought that the second one was quite a bit more successful...

They were spaced out, I promise.

Yeah, the first one is not that great. Very of its time.

4 hours ago, mjazzg said:

Perennially sits on my 'must buy' list but I never get around to doing so. I like Jaume's music

I like his playing a lot on this one, but I'm perhaps a bit less impressed by the more "composed" tunes. 

Just now, Rabshakeh said:

for the second one, they made a number of production decisions that made a lot of sense (to me at least): limit most of the singing to professionals (including Jeanne Lee) rather than have Bob Moses or Jack deJohnette sing on most tracks, add a guitar, and find ways to integrate Harold Vick, a talented man, better into the band... 

21 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

I like his playing a lot on this one, but I'm perhaps a bit less impressed by the more "composed" tunes. 

Interesting to know, thanks.  I like his solo recording on Hat 

NjEtOTI0NS5wbmc.jpeg

NjEtNTMwNy5wbmc.jpeg

NDQtODEyNC5wbmc.jpeg

Conduction, as performed here, seems to me to be an exponentially more evolved version of "jam band", like people with more ideas and resources than some stoned-ish "advanced rockers".

Still, as with all such things, advanced or otherwise, too many repeated listenings reveal the hard truth that nobody can just make all of that up without having some shit in your pocket to begin with.

With that in mind, I like it a lot. And with that in mind, I'd like to see more attempts at "free improvisation" carry some notion of road maps along. It just makes for more interesting listening for us old folks to feel like you're not just starting and ending, but actually going to places in between.. The best already know that and plan accordingly, but how many best ones are there, really?

16 hours ago, jazzbo said:

"Coleman Hawkins with the Red Garland Trio" Swingville

OC00OTYwLmpwZWc.jpeg

A nice pairing!

16 hours ago, jazzbo said:

"Coleman Hawkins with the Red Garland Trio" Swingville

OC00OTYwLmpwZWc.jpeg

A nice pairing!

Wonderful !

I wish Lester Young also would have made a record with the Red Garland Trio. 

This one again. My US cd copy is in storage and has been for seven years(!) so I've missed this recording and am glad to have it to hear again. I suspect this UHQCD of what I think is the same mastering sounds better but can't yet compare.

Charles Mingus "Pre Bird" Universal Japan UHQCD

500x500.jpg

Duke Ellington "Money Jungle" Universal Japan UHQCD

Ny0xNjQxLmpwZWc.jpeg

Brighter (mostly in a good way) than the US cd version with the same mastering. Fantastic music to listen to after a long spell between spins.

Duke Ellington "Money Jungle" Universal Japan UHQCD

Ny0xNjQxLmpwZWc.jpeg

Brighter (mostly in a good way) than the US cd version with the same mastering. Fantastic music to listen to after a long spell between spins.