• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

11 hours ago, John Tapscott said:

New York Reunion

This is a great CD.:tup I've never heard Joe Henderson play better than he does here (maybe it's the excellent recording quality).  

Must find that. For me it looks like an absolute dream band. Those four stars, each one of them for itself have been my very favourites from what I heard and saw live on Festivals from the late 70´s to the early 80´s. Within only a year (79/80) I had seen Joe Henderson twice, Ron Carter with his own Quartet, McTyner sextet with the personnel of "Horizon" and Al Foster with Sonny Rollins......., great times when all of them were at the peak of their power and we saw them regularly and would wait for their next albums....
Ron Carter was something like a "Mr. Hip" for us, very very tall, and that incredible bass sound with all his gimmicks like those glissandos and double grips....., Ron´s sound on Milestone Records or with VSOP was the sound of our time...., and McCoy Tyner seemed to be one of the most influencial pianists of all times....

19 hours ago, mjazzg said:

I suspect Mr Anderson cast a very influential shadow over the generation represented by the Chicago Underground crew, maybe less so in musical style than in organisation and facilitation. 

They connect strongly with Tortoise and others from that Chicago scene. Jeff Parker's in the mix too so in a way it threads right through to the current International Anthem stable.

I forgot I was actually familiar with the CU quartet album Good Days but wasn’t aware of how far back they went.

On that lead I ended up checking out Mazurek’s Exploding Star Orchestra’s Dimensional Stardust from 2020 and it’s really good. Some heavy hitters in that lineup: Nicole Mitchell, Tomkea Reid, Jeff Parker, Jaimie Branch and Joel Ross among others. 

1 hour ago, Dub Modal said:

I forgot I was actually familiar with the CU quartet album Good Days but wasn’t aware of how far back they went.

On that lead I ended up checking out Mazurek’s Exploding Star Orchestra’s Dimensional Stardust from 2020 and it’s really good. Some heavy hitters in that lineup: Nicole Mitchell, Tomkea Reid, Jeff Parker, Jaimie Branch and Joel Ross among others. 

Ironically, 'Good Days' is the only CU album I don't own. Exploding Star are great, all the albums are worth a listen. If you can find Mazurek's 'Calma Gente' you'll be in for a treat, his best among many very good recordings, to my ears