Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

85y4sd-liveatther-preview-m3.jpg

Listening to this new release reminds me why there are Pepper followers among today's baritonists and why none of them - won't mention any names - come near him for energy, creativity and, above all, technique. 

Edited by BillF

1 hour ago, jazzcorner said:

More of that great big band

43590611ox.jpg

So there is a Newport 2! I've never seen that one anywhere until now. I have the Big Apple set and knew that there was supposed to be a second set, but I figured it was never released.  This TALT band which recorded for RCA was their best, IMHO. I never found the subsequent recordings to be quite as compelling  (with the exception of the brilliant "Farewell to Mingus" session).

Now:

Mi00NTgwLmpwZWc.jpeg

19 hours ago, mjazzg said:

Ironically, 'Good Days' is the only CU album I don't own. Exploding Star are great, all the albums are worth a listen. If you can find Mazurek's 'Calma Gente' you'll be in for a treat, his best among many very good recordings, to my ears

Not on Apple so will keep eyes open for a physical copy. Searching Mazurek on Apple exposes one of the biggest flaws on that platform as his many different bands and even his name (Stellar Pulsations is officially under both Bob and Rob Mazurek) aren’t all grouped together. CU is also split along the duo, quartet, etc groupings. Makes finding stuff less than easy. Not sure how it is on other streaming platforms but hoping it’s not similar. 

NzgtNDk0Mi5qcGVn.jpeg

Pretty damn spunky. Everybody came to play and certainly did. No Headhunters grooves here (althought that would be delightful), just all-in playing.

I don't know did this Blueprints of jazz or why, but the three the did (this one, Donald Bailey, and Billy Harper) are all strong. Mike Clark might seem an odd choice, but no! Justified by this record.