• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, jazzbo said:

MS05MDQ1LmpwZWc.jpeg

I would have bought this SACD if AP had added the additional material from the sessions that produced this great record. It just didn't seem right to me to buy an SACD that matched the LP version now that all of this material has been released on a single CD several times. Any digital reissue of this music should include all of that material or it's just applying LP's time limitations for no reason.

54 minutes ago, bresna said:

I would have bought this SACD if AP had added the additional material from the sessions that produced this great record. It just didn't seem right to me to buy an SACD that matched the LP version now that all of this material has been released on a single CD several times. Any digital reissue of this music should include all of that material or it's just applying LP's time limitations for no reason.

Okay. I bought it because I'd rather listen to an SACD than an LP.

Getting my daily fix of the wonderful Carmen McRae:

My00MTEyLmpwZWc.jpeg

Here to Stay (Decca/GRP)
Compiles 2 LPs: By Special Request (Decca, 1956) and Something to Swing About (Kapp, 1960)

For some reason, they didn't include one cut from each of the LPs on the CD -- even though there's plenty of room.   Don't you hate it when they do that?!?!

Oh well.  The completist in me doesn't like it, but whatcha gonna do?

20 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

Getting my daily fix of the wonderful Carmen McRae:

My00MTEyLmpwZWc.jpeg

Here to Stay (Decca/GRP)
Compiles 2 LPs: By Special Request (Decca, 1956) and Something to Swing About (Kapp, 1960)

For some reason, they didn't include one cut from each of the LPs on the CD -- even though there's plenty of room.   Don't you hate it when they do that?!?!

Oh well.  The completist in me doesn't like it, but whatcha gonna do?

probably the work of Orrin Keepnews.

Edited by Chuck Nessa

2 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

I have the complete sessions too, on cd. But I prefer to listen to this originally released version. And the SACD sounds really really good.

I can dig that, for sure.

Sometimes, the original release sounds exactly right.  No amount of "enhancement" -- extra cuts, alt takes, etc. -- makes it better. 

In those cases, it's best not to futz with it.  Just leave it alone.

Back to this jazz vocals masterpiece:

71azpGmz6xL._SS600_.jpg

118329718.jpg

Excellent 4CD set brought out back in the day by Fantasy. Covers the whole gamut from Lighthouse All Stars to Woody Shaw. Nice booklet with session photos and memories of John Koenig too.

Superb sound on this set too but no surprise given the source of the recordings.

Edited by sidewinder

1 hour ago, sidewinder said:

118329718.jpg

Excellent 4CD set brought out back in the day by Fantasy. Covers the whole gamut from Lighthouse All Stars to Woody Shaw. Nice booklet with session photos and memories of John Koenig too.

Superb sound on this set too but no surprise given the source of the recordings.

Yes Roy DuNann is an excellent engineer.

Have another great CD box by Fantasy

43602679tc.jpg

43602672kg.jpg

14 minutes ago, jazzcorner said:

Yes Roy DuNann is an excellent engineer.

Have another great CD box by Fantasy

43602679tc.jpg

43602672kg.jpg

Yeah, that one is great as well. Nearly forgot about it, time to dig it out !

When Fantasy had their big disposal these sets could be had at bargain prices. I think I paid £10 for the first at FOPP and about the same for the second. Awesome bang for the buck.

Interesting to read about Koenig/DuNann’s Telefunken/AKG mikes and all-valve input streams and Westrex cutters with minimal complexity in the input signal processing. They got that absolutely right !  

Edited by sidewinder

15 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Why did he do that?

If he didn't like a cut, would he just delete it?  Or was it something else?

Had the same thought myself ... not a passive-aggressive defense of Keepnews, just curious :P