• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Masayoshi Takanaka – An Insatiable High (Kitty, 1977)

R-1593314-1587776632-4911.jpg

I've just finished streaming this one:

Bengt-Arne Wallin – Old Folklore In Swedish Modern (Dux, 1962)

R-1696843-1273440745.jpg

This really hit me when I first heard it, and is doing so again. Roughly Gil Evans inspired but with other jazz and non jazz big band idioms intruding.

11 hours ago, mjazzg said:

How is that one?

The audio isn’t the greatest but is acceptable, especially given the live club circumstances in a cramped space. I don’t think it is up to the musical standard of the first Deram album but being the very last night of Ronnie Scott’s Old Place this is all about occasion and it is captured and at an interesting point in the Westbrook story. 75 mins of music.

The Ellington influence comes across very strongly in the arrangements.

6 hours ago, HutchFan said:

81GNaHlkIIL._SS500_.jpg

Susannah McCorkle - How Do You Keep the Music Playing? (PAUSA/Jazz Alliance, 1985)
Al Cohn sits in on several cuts

Her early and tragic passing was so sad. I can remember her during the UK stint seeing her with Keith Ingham on piano at Ronnie Scott’s.

Edited by sidewinder

1 hour ago, sidewinder said:

The audio isn’t the greatest but is acceptable, especially given the live club circumstances in a cramped space. I don’t think it is up to the musical standard of the first Deram album but being the very last night of Ronnie Scott’s Old Place this is all about occasion and it is captured and at an interesting point in the Westbrook story. 75 mins of music.

The Ellington influence comes across very strongly in the arrangements.

Her early and tragic passing was so sad. I can remember her during the UK stint seeing her with Keith Ingham on piano at Ronnie Scott’s.

I too remember Ronnie announcing her. I will have been at the club for the instrumental group.

He often put in a singer as well. I recall Blossom Dearie and Mark Murphy in that role too.

Edited by BillF

13 minutes ago, BillF said:

I too remember Ronnie announcing her. I will have been at the club for the instrumental group.

He often put in a singer as well. I recall Blossom Dearie and Mark Murphy in that role too.

I’ve got the feeling that she might have been as starting act in tandem with either George Coleman or Cedar Walton’s groups. At the time, she was seen as an up and coming London based singer.

Australian singer Julie Amiet was another I saw around that time. Plus Joy Yates with Dave Macrae.

Edited by sidewinder

20 hours ago, HutchFan said:

NP:

OS0zMDQ4LmpwZWc.jpeg

The Singers Unlimited - Masterpieces (MPS, rec. 1971-1980)
I've never been able to get much of a foothold on this group.  But I'm giving it another go with this compilation.

Have it beside the  MPS box with all their recordings. Love this group - one of the best among jazz vocal groups bedide the Freshmen, Hi-Lo's and Manhattan Transfer. Gene Puerlimngs arrangments are great.

The Contemporary Jazz Quintet "Location" Strata Records cd

MDEtOTc1NC5qcGVn.jpeg

3 hours ago, jazzcorner said:

Have it beside the  MPS box with all their recordings. Love this group - one of the best among jazz vocal groups bedide the Freshmen, Hi-Lo's and Manhattan Transfer. Gene Puerlimngs arrangments are great.

Your post sent me to one of my favourites in the field:

ab67616d0000b273c791bb435adf3b4e09fe8071