Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

20 hours ago, Ken Dryden said:

How is as it? It’s still in my unheard backlog.

Very good. I like Sam's guitar playing very much. 

Now:

ALEXANDER CLAFFY - Good Spirits CM020721

This is a very strong recording. All players unknown to me, other than the great Joe Farnsworth. But they all play very well. Lots of fire.  

14 hours ago, Referentzhunter said:

55955.jpg

That´s a fantastic record, with Woody Shaw if I remember. I must spin it again. The cover looks a bit like those early electric Miles albums "Bitches Brew" or "Live Evil"....

21 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

Woody Shaw With Tone Jansa Quartet (Timeless, 1985)

R-4821369-1376566694-1427.jpg

An excellent recent recommendation from this board.

Yes, but what a terrible story about the making of the record, in Max Bolleman´s book "Sounds", since he had the recording studio in Monster/Netherlands, where the record was made. I was shocked when I read it.....

On the other hand, I saw a whole concert video of Woody from the same year 1985 , leading the Paris Reunion with Graham Moncur III, Nat Adderly and Leo Wright, which is fantastic and were Woody is very articulate and taking care of business....

But reading the story about the recording date for Timeless it´s almost a wonder that some good music could be recorded......

42 minutes ago, Gheorghe said:

That´s a fantastic record, with Woody Shaw if I remember. I must spin it again. The cover looks a bit like those early electric Miles albums "Bitches Brew" or "Live Evil"....

Yes, but what a terrible story about the making of the record, in Max Bolleman´s book "Sounds", since he had the recording studio in Monster/Netherlands, where the record was made. I was shocked when I read it.....

It's the same artist. Mati Klarwein.

What is the story about the Woody Shaw record?

2 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

It's the same artist. Mati Klarwein.

What is the story about the Woody Shaw record?

He arrived completly aggresive and as soon as he came into the studio he said to Max that he is an racist. Then he was completly uncooperative as playing into the right mike, and he threw his cigarette ends on the floor.

The junkey woman who was with him, flooded the bathroom (threw all the toilet paper into the WC and thought it´s fun), they noticed it when the water entered the recording room...... ad infinitum.....

Edited by Gheorghe

16 hours ago, John Tapscott said:

This is a very strong recording. All players unknown to me, other than the great Joe Farnsworth. But they all play very well. Lots of fire.  

All regulars at Smalls. Farnsworth now of an older generation than the others. All talented.

ab67616d0000b273224ba75f52b86d8eb799e587

5 minutes ago, BillF said:

All regulars at Smalls. Farnsworth now of an older generation than the others. All talented.

ab67616d0000b273224ba75f52b86d8eb799e587

I’ll have to check this one out. Glover’s recent solo album didn’t impress much but I’ve heard live recordings that were much better. 

I listened to part of one of my Dad's final sermons posted on Facebook. He was a master. He is missed.

Following this up with a new release from another master of a different art: 

Bill Evans "Inner Spirit" Resonance Records 2 cd set

[IMG] 

Edited by jazzbo

22 minutes ago, jazzbo said:
I listened to part of one of my Dad's final sermons posted on Facebook. He was a master. He is missed.

Following this up with a new release from another master of a different art: 

Bill Evans "Inner Spirit" Resonance Records 2 cd set

[IMG] 

It must be great to have your father's voice to hear, I wish I had taken the time to interview my father at my radio station about his life as an engineer and entrepreneur. 

I enjoyed Inner Spirit immensely, it was a huge improvement over the widely reissued bootleg versions, I used to own the dreadful West Wind version, which sounded like it was copied directly from the original Yellow Note 2 LP bootleg.

I only heard Bill Evans once, with this trio in Atlanta, in November 1979. Once again, I didn't get to hear the encore, since the engineer ran out of tape. I didn't get to hear the encore in Atlanta, as my very sleepy fiancee had to get back to college so we had to leave. But she's enjoyed telling my jazz friends over the years that she actually got to hear him in concert. Unfortunately, this version of "Nardis" was a bit too abstract for her to enjoy in the car...