• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Complete Fats Waller & his Rhythm, "Vol. 2 1934/43" King Jazz 

51LIETAjZxL.jpg

I had given my Dad all fourteen of these King Jazz volumes when I collected all the JSP volumes, and now I have these back. Great stuff. . . had a lot of fun when my Dad discovered Fats Waller.

4 hours ago, Peter Friedman said:

Massimo Faeao & Jerry Weldon  with Joey DeFrancesco

91KVGuIGYlL._AC_UY218_.jpg

Looks interesting!

P.S. Yes, very nice session indeed. I take it that's Joey on Miles-ish trumpet?

Edited by BillF

10 hours ago, HutchFan said:

81ywW1E55OL._SS600_.jpg

If I listen to vocal jazz my first choice is Billy Eckstine. I haven´t heard him sing "Everything I have is yours" but it is on some Eckstine album where Sarah does it as a feature. Beautiful ballad. Maybe on MGM recordings I might miss the great orchestra. 
Short time ago during intermission I talked to a musician and he mentioned the "Billy and Sarah" album from the late 50´s and the great singing of them both (I think it´s the one that has "Alexander´s Ragtime Band" and "Cheek to Cheek" but we both admitted that we complain the anonymous studio band, that typical 50´s run of the mill swing bands that also marred on Charlie Parker album "Charlie Parker Big Band".....

12 hours ago, sidewinder said:

NzktNzYzNS5qcGVn.jpeg

‘Syndicate’ version - with the bonus Hank Mobley 45rpm.

Maybe I should look for this.
I think I didn´t buy it when it came out since I thought it´s more the kind of a "sampler", but to hear Jackie McLean/Woody Shaw playing "Appointment in Ghana" and to hear Hubbard with Blakey and of course the Cecil Taylor solo would be something to enjoy.
I remember I was irritated about the participation of Charles Lloyd and Michel Petrucciani, since they don´t have to do something with BN. Anyway as much as I remember they got less favourable write ups.....
I´m sure it´s my fault but I never really could become warm with Charles Lloyd, when he was popular in the late 60´s I was too young (under 10 years) and when I started to listen I associated 60´s jazz with Ornette, Trane, Cecil Taylor etc. ) . 

But some of the a bit older guys on jam sessions always wanted to play "Forest Flower" so I had to play it.....too often....

16 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

Rob Brown Trio – High Wire (Soul Note, 1993)

R-3162726-1455548998-7212.jpg

I am trying to figure out who Rob Brown's playing reminds me of. It's very strong, but I can't place it. 

Any help would be appreciated.

Jimmy Lyons