Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 6/3/2022 at 9:32 AM, jazzbo said:

I'd buy a few discs of just Ellington playing the piano in this studio at this session. Such great sound, and such interesting pianism.

Duke Ellington "Indigos" Columbia/Impex Records gold cd

Duke_Ellington_-_Indigos1_1024x1024.jpg?

In my youth it was common for drug stores, grocery stores, etc to have a small selection lp's for sale.  Along with Mingus Ah Um, Ellington Indigos was seemingly omnipresent in these small clusters of record offerings.  I, of course, purchased it, but failed to understand it for many, many years. Luckily I have a copy now as it is strangely challenging to find in the digital domain.

38 minutes ago, Jim Duckworth said:

In my youth it was common for drug stores, grocery stores, etc to have a small selection lp's for sale.  Along with Mingus Ah Um, Ellington Indigos was seemingly omnipresent in these small clusters of record offerings.  I, of course, purchased it, but failed to understand it for many, many years. Luckily I have a copy now as it is strangely challenging to find in the digital domain.

It's a record that long fascinated me. . . I have mono and stereo ups and several digital editions (of which the Impex is the best sounding). I love the material, the arrangements, and especially the piano introductions to many of the tracks. I'd take this to a deserted island; I always get so much out of a spin.

Greg Osby "Zero" Blue Note cd

My5qcGVn.jpeg

Hard to believe this was 23 or 24 years ago. Sounds like a newer release. I'm glad I pulled it out of the stacks.

Sucks I can’t copy/paste these album cover links via my phone so fuck it, just typing it out:

NP Jorge Rossy’s ‘21 ECM album Puerta with Robert Landfermann and Jeff Ballard. 

Just bass, drums, vibes/marimba and some other percussion. Enjoying that interplay this AM. 

Andre .Jaume / Barry Altschul / Barre Phillips – Giacobazzi "Autour De La Rade" (CELP). This is an unusual CD. It's really mellow, but it's avant garde mellow, if you know what I mean. There's a lot of dirge-like tunes but on a couple of tracks, Jaume burns it up. My favorite of the "burners" is "L'Arsenal", the closing piece of the "Point de Vue" suite. It's a tour de force for Jaume.

Primary

Ny05MDgyLmpwZWc.jpeg

MS5qcGVn.jpeg

Indeed it is. If I had a boat and an ocean or whatever it is and if it was night, I would go there right now and take this along. As it is, all I can do is take this along to right here right now, and that's good too. Better, probably.

47 minutes ago, bresna said:

Andre .Jaume / Barry Altschul / Barre Phillips – Giacobazzi "Autour De La Rade" (CELP). This is an unusual CD. It's really mellow, but it's avant garde mellow, if you know what I mean. There's a lot of dirge-like tunes but on a couple of tracks, Jaume burns it up. My favorite of the "burners" is "L'Arsenal", the closing piece of the "Point de Vue" suite. It's a tour de force for Jaume.

Primary

Excellent disc. The McPhee/Jaume/Boni CELP CD Songs & Dances has eluded me always, it scarcely seems to exist.