• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

22 hours ago, jazzbo said:

"The Night of the Cookers" Blue Note RVG edition, disc 1

Freddie Hubbard (trumpet), Lee Morgan (trumpet), James Spaulding (alto sax), Harold Mabern Jr. (piano), Larry Ridley (bass), Pete LaRoca (drums), Big Black (congas)

516K6wskIdL._SX466_.jpg

I have the two volumes as individual CDs, Japan Toshiba Series, it was very much around in the late 90´s early 2000´s . It´s really an exiting, albeit sometimes rough thing. On my Vol. II CD there is a wrong listing of the 2 tunes played. Breakin Point is the latin beat thing in A natural, and Jodi is the fast modal tune. Freddie Hubbard seems to be in better form than Lee Morgan, all are great, and the combination Pete La Roca and "Big Black" is a dream team. 
But I didn´t really like the liner notes, it seems it is written by some college kid who doesn´t really know what´s goin´n on. I don´t read liner notes while listening to music, but sometimes after having listened to it I read them......
Maybe for some not so hard core fans the outworks of the tunes are a bit too long and go too far out. 
Let´s say on Vol. 1 that Clare Fisher bossa. When my wife heard the beginning she said "Gee, sounds like holiday, having sun at the pool and so..." but when it got more into improvisation she said "bye bye" and left the room....
On Walkin´ , Lee´s feature: Why do they speed up. It´s okay to play Walkin quite fast like Miles did it in the 60´s , but I think they are almost on double speed at the end, and I don´t mean "double time".....

3 hours ago, BillF said:

ab67616d0000b2735d4181851ea0596b59d8ed4d

They play Bud´s "Glass Enclosure". During my youth some students had to play this or to transcribe it I don´t know exactly what, I thing it´s more a pseudo classical thing. 
But that "V.S.O.P" irritated me, I thought about my then favourite band with all them greats. 
I must admit I don´t know who Danny D Imperio is....

Danny D'Imperio is a drummer who has spent most of his life playing drums, first in his father's bands and then with many other bands, big and small, the Army Jazz Band, and even holding down the drum chair in the Buddy Rich Tribute band. He is a jazz historian as well with an immense collection. And.. . quite a character.

81wbSq98j0L._SL1407_.jpg

51drhkLXv6L.jpg

The band was in top form. Cootie's "Caravan" is a masterpiece of modern art.

And Duke at a piano is not something you just casually walk by on your way to someplace else. No, you stop and listen, and if you're late, you're still better off than you would be if you'd not stopped and listened and got there five minutes early.

COO-TAY

1 hour ago, jazzbo said:

Danny D'Imperio is a drummer who has spent most of his life playing drums, first in his father's bands and then with many other bands, big and small, the Army Jazz Band, and even holding down the drum chair in the Buddy Rich Tribute band. He is a jazz historian as well with an immense collection. And.. . quite a character.

And also former Forum member ‘Deep’? (or was that the BNBB?)