• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

47 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

Maulawi – Orotunds

R-5346495-1391111305-5162.jpg

Recent ish reissue of an obscure Strata thing. Not really digging it. I feel like there are hundreds of records that I would have reissued before this one.

Listening now...opening track ain't so bad. Those creeping 70s intros are so on point. 

18 minutes ago, Dub Modal said:

Listening now...opening track ain't so bad. Those creeping 70s intros are so on point. 

I liked the first track most. But even then it’s nothing that we haven’t heard before. The later tracks are just jam standard with quite a lot of audible mistakes.

David Boykin Reads Sun Ra               

https://www.dustygroove.com/item/113568

The wisdom and knowledge of Sun Ra – read by saxophonist David Boykin, an artist who is definitely carrying on the spiritual legacy that Ra began on the Chicago scene! The album is all spoken word – no music at all, but instead these really well-done readings by Boykin – who clearly embraces all of the ideas in the writings of Ra, and delivers them with an understanding that really makes the words leap off the page! Selections include writings from the late 50s through the start of the 80s – with titles that include "Of Variable Universe", "The Empty Space", "Sound Silence", "The Sounds Of Planets", "The Space Age Cannot Be Avoided", "We Hold This Myth To Be Potential", "The Visitation", "Visions Out", "The Three Dimensions Of Air", and "On Solar Planes".  

A niche item, but...I am not at all turned off by Ra's writings, nor his philosophy (once "decoded", which I may or may not be getting all wrong, but...it makes more sense than anything else right now). Boykin does justice to the words. In particular, I like "We Hold These Myths To Be Potential".

Indeed.

2 hours ago, jazzbo said:

John Coltrane "My Favorite Things" 50th Anniversary 2 cd set, mono mix cd. Sounds great. I ended up with two of these sets because I chose not to wait for Rhino to mail me my pre-ordered copy which took 3 weeks to arrive.

il_794xN.3885993310_c1wl.jpg

:tup

2 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

Max Roach, Herb Geller, Walter Benton, Joe Maini, Clifford Brown– Best Coast Jazz

ECA4CDA8-2B54-4023-81D6-3852F64A0B96.jpeg

I’m not sure I know who Joe Maini and Walter Benton were. 

Walter Benton actually had a leader date on Jazzland. Hardly a "name" but he's on several other records, more than you might expect.

Joe Maini will forever be remembered, not only for his fine lead alto work, but for providing one of the most memorable prank photographs ever.

LmpwZWc.jpeg

For more about him: https://www.jazzwax.com/2010/06/the-truth-about-joe-mainis-death.html

25 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Walter Benton actually had a leader date on Jazzland. Hardly a "name" but he's on several other records, more than you might expect.

Joe Maini will forever be remembered, not only for his fine lead alto work, but for providing one of the most memorable prank photographs ever.

LmpwZWc.jpeg

For more about him: https://www.jazzwax.com/2010/06/the-truth-about-joe-mainis-death.html

Thanks! 

Shannon Jackson & The Decoding Society – Nasty (Moers, 1981)

02CE51EF-74C9-480B-82CC-CC365A54B4D7.jpeg