• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Rabshakeh said:

Thanks! 

Shannon Jackson & The Decoding Society – Nasty (Moers, 1981)

02CE51EF-74C9-480B-82CC-CC365A54B4D7.jpeg

I have a record by a classical music saxophone concerto (20th century) played by a sax player named Walter Benton. I wonder if he was the same guy?

1 hour ago, jlhoots said:

Walter Benton was on Max Roach: Freedom Now Suite on Candid.

Also on three tracks from Quincy Jones' "Go West, Man' (ABC Paramount)

Go West, Man!
Go West, Man!.jpeg
Studio album by 
Released October 17, 1957
Recorded February 25, 1957
Studio Los Angeles
Genre Jazz
Length 42:56
Label ABC Paramount
Producer Quincy Jones
Quincy Jones chronology
This Is How I Feel About Jazz
(1956)
Go West, Man!
(1957)
The Birth of a Band!
(1959)
Professional ratings
Review scores
Source Rating
Allmusic 11px-Star_full.svg.png11px-Star_full.svg.png11px-Star_empty.svg.png11px-Star_empty.svg.png11px-Star_empty.svg.png[1]

Go West, Man! is the second studio album by Quincy Jones.[2] It was released in 1957 by ABC Records.

Track listing[edit]

1. "Dancin' Pants" (Jimmy Giuffre) – 3:50
  2. "Blues Day" (Giuffre) – 4:40
  3. "Bright Moon" (Giuffre) – 5:20
  4. "No Bones at All" (Johnny Mandel) – 3:58
  5. "The Oom Is Blues" (Charlie Mariano) – 5:10
  6. "Be My Guest" (Lennie Niehaus) – 4:29
  7. Medley: "What's New?" - Bill Perkins solo (Bob HaggartJohnny Burke) / "We'll Be Together Again" - Pepper Adams solo (Carl FischerFrankie Laine) / "Time on My Hands" - Buddy Collette solo (Vincent Youmans); / "You Go to My Head" - Carl Perkins solo (J. Fred CootsHaven Gillespie); / "Laura" - Walter Benton solo (David Raksin / Johnny Mercer) – 6:17
  8. "London Derriere" (Johnny Mandel) – 4:06
  9. "Kings Road Blues" (Lennie Niehaus) – 5:06

Personnel[edit]

18 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

He's not alone. A lot of the interviewees in that book are very very bitter. But I think that Griffin comes across and the angriest. 

would be worth a topic in the forum jazz literature.
I thought the most bitter is the interview with Hampton Hawes. And there is a very unusual interview with Eddie Lockjaw Davis...

22 minutes ago, Gheorghe said:

would be worth a topic in the forum jazz literature.
I thought the most bitter is the interview with Hampton Hawes. And there is a very unusual interview with Eddie Lockjaw Davis...

I don’t remember either of them! I’ll go back and review. I remember Blakey being refreshing, because he was one of the few who dodged the leading questions.

MTItODYxMC5qcGVn.jpeg

Illinois Jacquet 's big bands of the lsat how many years of his life appear to be seriously under-documented.

That's too bad, because they always swung right, felt right, blended right, did everything right. Illinois Jacquet should have been the highest "jazz education" clinician/artist-in-residence in the history of the world, because he knew how this type of big time needed to sound to do its job, which is to create an undeniable swing that lifts people up, both physically and spiritually.

On this last performance, yeah, he's old, he sings a lot, he rambles a lot, he plays well, and that band of his, unlike SO many other pretenders, lays it down, all the way down, into the pocket and keeps it there, they just do it right.

25 minutes ago, JSngry said:

MTItODYxMC5qcGVn.jpeg

Illinois Jacquet 's big bands of the lsat how many years of his life appear to be seriously under-documented.

That's too bad, because they always swung right, felt right, blended right, did everything right. Illinois Jacquet should have been the highest "jazz education" clinician/artist-in-residence in the history of the world, because he knew how this type of big time needed to sound to do its job, which is to create an undeniable swing that lifts people up, both physically and spiritually.

On this last performance, yeah, he's old, he sings a lot, he rambles a lot, he plays well, and that band of his, unlike SO many other pretenders, lays it down, all the way down, into the pocket and keeps it there, they just do it right.

Intrigued, I looked this up and scant to no details are included about this release on discogs. Released in 06-07, was that when this was recorded? I’m also wondering who was in this band…

Then I see a decent amount of albums from his big bands from the late 80s (and one from the mid-90s) exist, but on the questionable Squatty Roo label…any of those recommended? 

Squatty Roo is not necessarily a "quality" operation...bootleg and pretty proud of it. What those are likely to be is audience recordings, which can be anywhere from quite nicely done to horrendous beyond redemption money, you talks your chances. So far, all I've gotten from them is some really interesting Ellington stuff. Bootleg like a mo, always rough-ish sound, but sme deep music.

Here's a bit of background on the album and a listing of the players: https://www.allaboutjazz.com/swingin-live-with-illinois-jacquet-illinois-jacquet-jacquet-records-review-by-jim-santella

Recorded 7/16/24. Jaquet died six days later.

What nobody has reference of is the arrangers, and this is where it gets really interesting: Eddie Barefield, Sy Oliver, Wild Bill Davis, Jimmy Mundy, Aubrey Tucker (who's that?), A.K. Salim, Rick Henderson(!!!), Roger Hamilton Spotts (again, who's that?), Buck Clayton, Phil Wilson, and Jacquet himself.

Obviously/mostly "vintage" charts, and those type things need to be played a certain way or else they just don't pop. Pretty obvious to me that Jacquet molded that band to get it right. This isn't some clueless Lincoln Center abomination, nor is it a pickup band that plays everything the same flat way.

Sorry to go on, but I still have a soft spot for big bands, all kinds, and it pisses me off when they don't got no kind of flayva. There's really no excuse for that except willful ignorance. But when I hear sections playing as sections, shading, not playing louder than the pocket can hold (and the rhythm section holding that pocket open when it does get loud, that's a good listen for me. And this is that.

I can't dance for shit, but I can sure as hell feel when it's dance time. And this is dance time!

Oh, there's a documentary about Jacquet, "Texas Tenor", I think it's called? Whateverit is, check it out because it's got footages of Jacquet leading and playing with his band. Great stuff.

46 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Squatty Roo is not necessarily a "quality" operation...bootleg and pretty proud of it. What those are likely to be is audience recordings, which can be anywhere from quite nicely done to horrendous beyond redemption money, you talks your chances. So far, all I've gotten from them is some really interesting Ellington stuff. Bootleg like a mo, always rough-ish sound, but sme deep music.

Here's a bit of background on the album and a listing of the players: https://www.allaboutjazz.com/swingin-live-with-illinois-jacquet-illinois-jacquet-jacquet-records-review-by-jim-santella

Recorded 7/16/24. Jaquet died six days later.

What nobody has reference of is the arrangers, and this is where it gets really interesting: Eddie Barefield, Sy Oliver, Wild Bill Davis, Jimmy Mundy, Aubrey Tucker (who's that?), A.K. Salim, Rick Henderson(!!!), Roger Hamilton Spotts (again, who's that?), Buck Clayton, Phil Wilson, and Jacquet himself.

Obviously/mostly "vintage" charts, and those type things need to be played a certain way or else they just don't pop. Pretty obvious to me that Jacquet molded that band to get it right. This isn't some clueless Lincoln Center abomination, nor is it a pickup band that plays everything the same flat way.

Sorry to go on, but I still have a soft spot for big bands, all kinds, and it pisses me off when they don't got no kind of flayva. There's really no excuse for that except willful ignorance. But when I hear sections playing as sections, shading, not playing louder than the pocket can hold (and the rhythm section holding that pocket open when it does get loud, that's a good listen for me. And this is that.

I can't dance for shit, but I can sure as hell feel when it's dance time. And this is dance time!

Oh, there's a documentary about Jacquet, "Texas Tenor", I think it's called? Whateverit is, check it out because it's got footages of Jacquet leading and playing with his band. Great stuff.

Good info. Will check the documentary out too. Those arrangers listed, Wild Bill also shows up on a credit for one of Jacquet's 80s big band albums as do players Carmell Jones and Richard Wyands. SRoo the only outfit that has them so looks like you gotta gamble if you want to hear these.