Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

47 minutes ago, Gheorghe said:

My favourite acoustic group in the 70´s . But I think my favourite is the "Tempest at the Colloseum", though this one is also very very fine. 

Thanks for your positive comment. The above mentiones is also here plus the one with the red & golden coverart titled "Five Stars" see label pl.

Bild-Url: https://up.picr.de/43901091ph.jpg

Edited by jazzcorner

1 hour ago, jazzcorner said:

Thanks for your positive comment. The above mentiones is also here plus the one with the red & golden coverart titled "Five Stars" see label pl.

Bild-Url: https://up.picr.de/43901091ph.jpg

Well, from all VSOP albums that extremly short studio album is the one that´s got only 1 or 2 times spinnin´ here. The first Number Skagly would be cool, but it´s more a backbeat tune and the acoustic bass in the manner it´s recorded doesn´t really fit in. This number would have been great with a fender bass. The others is missing the tension I´m used to, that medium tempo swing number could be fine, but always those stops not only in the theme but in the solos too...., I like the other one from that year 1979, I think it´s titled "Live under the Sky", that´s really top....

Herbie Hancock – Magic Windows (Columbia, 1981)

R-676625-1621088009-7659.jpg

First listen. An extremely cool electro funk record. 

Now on:

Herbie Hancock Trio With Ron Carter + Tony Williams (Columbia, 1981)R-12068968-1527666879-7641.jpg

Also first listen. Seems less good. It's like everything that made Hancock interesting in the 60s has been washed out of his acoustic playing by this time.

4 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Well, from all VSOP albums that extremly short studio album is the one that´s got only 1 or 2 times spinnin´ here. The first Number Skagly would be cool, but it´s more a backbeat tune and the acoustic bass in the manner it´s recorded doesn´t really fit in. This number would have been great with a fender bass. The others is missing the tension I´m used to, that medium tempo swing number could be fine, but always those stops not only in the theme but in the solos too...., I like the other one from that year 1979, I think it´s titled "Live under the Sky", that´s really top....

Thanks for your comments. Similar feelings here. Anyway the sound is fine overall.

.... and thanks for that tip. Have seen this one one ( 2 LP set at moderate price)  at  Discogs and will order it.

Edited by jazzcorner

3 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

Herbie Hancock – Magic Windows (Columbia, 1981)

R-676625-1621088009-7659.jpg

First listen. An extremely cool electro funk record. 

Now on:

Herbie Hancock Trio With Ron Carter + Tony Williams (Columbia, 1981)R-12068968-1527666879-7641.jpg

Also first listen. Seems less good. It's like everything that made Hancock interesting in the 60s has been washed out of his acoustic playing by this time.

Never listened to Magic Windows before, so streaming now. Nice morning vibes :tup

3 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

I agree.  It's strangely flat.